Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Reasonable price for 9" rear end?

740 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  gt350sr 
#1 ·
I just came across a 9" rear out of a '68 Cougar. I've been on the lookout for a 9" for my '67 Mustang. Will the '68 Cougar rear (drum to drum) fit my '67 Mustang without modification? What is a reasonable price for such a piece? It's an open diff, ratio unknown, in dirty but useable shape.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies. It's listed for $300 and my expectation would be to rebuild it prior to installation.

In terms of what it's worth to me: I haven't really been actively searching one out, but I have kept my eyes open for a decent opportunity to pick one up. I'll do that for this one as it seems to be a decent deal.

#6 ·
Just double check that its really a 9". I have seen several 8" or 9.5" axles falsely advertised as 9" by people who did not know the difference.

FWIW, the 67/68 cougar dimemsions should be identicle to the mustang. There is a cool pic floating around of both cars running down the assembly line in '67 one behind the other.

#7 ·
yup- the axle is a direct bolt in. Verify it's a 9" by looking at the bottom center bolt for the center section, directly beneath the yoke. If you can stick a deep socket on an extension on it, it's an 8"- 9's are covered and you need a wrench. As far as the price- around here a complete 9" housing with center and drums will go for around $100-$150 for the common larger widths that need narrowed for the early Mustangs. The direct bolt ins like you've found are probably closer to the $250-300 like you've found.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.