Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1965 200ci T5 Swap - Need Clutch Disk

6K views 39 replies 12 participants last post by  histriker 
#1 · (Edited)
I need to find a replacement clutch disk for my 1965 mustang 200ci 8.5" clutch. I have completed the T5 conversion and need to find a replacement clutch. I was doing some research and found that the 1988 Mustang LX 4cyl have the 8.5" disk with the 1 1/16" input shaft 10 spline specs. Will this work for my appliaction?

Here is a link to the clutch I'm considering purchasing...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ctf-df220024

Also why I'm in there would like to replace the pilot bushing with a pilot bearing instead. Does anyone have a part number for one that will fit my appliaction?

Thanks again

#4 · (Edited)
I did originally get the whole kit from Modern Driveline. It was a great kit, but the disk didnt last long, so I am looking for something other just than an Organic clutch disk. I contacted a company near L.A. that could build me one but was gonna cost more money.

The car ran great while I was breaking the new motor and clutch in, and for a while after that on a couple 300 mile round trips, but once I started trying to push the car a little more the clutch would just slip while I was in gear. I went over all items to make sure the clutch was fully engaging and disengaging and all was fine there.

The company I contacted was going to put heavier springs on the pressure plate and rebuild the disk with a carbon composite material. I'm not sure what HP my current disk is rated for but it cant hold for anything and I have to take it really easy or it will just slip.

#5 ·
For a pilot bearing, try Transmission SELF-ALIGNING PILOT BALL BEARING for MERCEDES, MAZDA, VOLVO FZ-PBM46HD

If you're running the stock 200 flywheel, bellhousing and equalizer bar linkage, I'd use the 1 1/16" input shaft disc with the '65 release bearing and pressure plate.
Running Classic Inline aluminum head, higher compression ratio, highly modified motor but still naturally asperated(for now ;) I have a hydrolic clutch with the stock flywheel and pressure plate (so far from info I can find no aftermarket flywheels/pressure plates exist at this time)

#7 ·
Not sure on the clutch disk, but when I did my C4 to 3 speed (then T5, using the same parts) I used a pressure plate/clutch disc combo from I *think* a 78 or 79 Fairmont/Zephr. Its a diaphragm type pressure plate instead of the old 3 finger and I haven't had any issues with the clutch over about 3,000 miles. I didn't break it in either, I was heavy on it since day one.

#9 ·
I have a '66 using a 9". I have a sachs clutch disc and diaphragm pressure plate. I believe it is from a late 70's Fairmont/Mustang/Capri/Zephyr. Part number K0016-01.

As a note. I have driven the snot out of it and upon recent inspection the disc looks great.

Scott

#10 ·
Ya unfortunately the 66 block is completely different from the 65 block and the parts are not interchangeable. I have been wanting to get a diaphragm pressure plate but can't find any that work with the 65 block... Hence why I might send it to a place in LA to have it rebuilt with heavier springs...

#13 ·
Thanks for the info! I'm gonna do some research on that. Like all those guys were talking about on that forum. These old 8.5" parts are rebuilt over and over and over. That Alpha Romeo conversion seems like the way to go if I can find a proper disk to fit the T5 splines!

#20 ·
ok. sometimes legit accounts get lost in the onslaught of bots and other crap accounts. for instance today i deleted about 100 new accounts because they were either bots, or suspect in other ways. thats why i said to pm me here so i dont accidentally delete the account.

#19 ·
Here's the place we used for all the turbo and HD cars. They should be able to fix you up. All their work is done inhouse.
Valley Clutch
5396 3rd St, Irwindale, California 91706
(626) 962-8787

#22 ·
22GT, I saw Scott drake came out with a new set too. My main issue is that the organic clutch is just slipping too much. I'm saving money right now to install a direct injection and small turbo setup on my 200 and if I'm slipping now it will only get worse. The Alpha Romeo diaphragm pp and a higher performance mustang II disk should hopefully solve my issues. I will post back once I get these modifications done for others to see.

#23 ·
Due to selling my house and moving for work I was unable to spend the money on this project, but I am finally settled and was able to pick back up.

Today I brought the 1965 8.5" dished flywheel to the machine shop along with a new 1984 190e Mercedes diaphragm pressure plate. The shop will be matching the factory step depth on the flywheel from the Mercedes so the pressure plate will have proper clamping force. As well they will be lightening the flywheel by hopefully 25% or more. Once completed I will be able to use a Mustang II 8.5" performance clutch disk pare with my new setup for a nice pedal feel with all the added performance. Once I get the flywheel/pressure plate set-up back from the machine shop I will post up some pics, which should be by the end of this month.

Thanks all for the help.

#24 ·
Thanks for picking this thread back up, histriker! I'm on my 2nd clutch disc from Modern Driveline- the first one only lasted a couple thousand miles (but this one has about 11k on it and seems to be holding up much better).

The other piece I keep searching eBay for is the flywheel ring gear (it's very hard to find one for the dog dish style flywheel, and they aren't currently being manufactured).

I'm looking forward to your pics once everything is installed!

#25 ·
I have not seen any available ring gear for years. Recently before I was going forward with this, I spent 3 months looking on eBay for a suitable dished flywheel, as I did not want to destroy my original. I ended up finding on for $150 shipped and that's the one I gave to the machine shop to work on.

#27 ·
Just to be clear though, as I was very satisfied with my experience with Modern Drive-line, I was happy with their T-5 Kit I bought and the ease it allowed by purchasing a full and complete kit to retrofit the T-5 on a '65 200. I just think the the material of the clutch disk and the fact the are a lot of rebuilt pressure plates out there may be a contributing factor. Not to say they are bad, just that once you start modifying the motor these SMALL disks don't like the added torque and once it starts slipping the problem just intensifies. I have heard a lot of good things from the guys over at FordSix.com about the Mercedes/Alfa Romero conversion and they are lasting a long time so I figured this was the best alternative to a custom set-up which will be hard to source parts from in the future.

Edit: I don't want to sound like I'm unhappy with MDL, just frustrated with this darn clutch...

#29 ·
Modern Driveline is a good outfit and usually stands behind their products. Did you speak with Bruce about your specific application and why they think the disc did not last very long?

Paul

#28 ·
Yeah, I meant to include that thought in my post as well... Modern Driveline is the place to go if you plan to install a T5 in a classic Mustang.

Unfortunately, as with so many things on the six, there just aren't as many options when it comes to parts and set-ups once you go off-stock (and sometimes it is even difficult to find stuff when you are staying stock).

#30 ·
I used a rockauto clutch kit, that came w/ throwout, disc, pressure plate, pilot and alignment tool it was about 100-140 bucks. No issues on a 200 w/ 9 inch clutch. It does have a cam, headers and a T-5. I was a little leary of the throwout...it seemed sloppy, but has been holding up OK with my 17 year old driving it. No issues so I bought a second kit for the next car. I see you can buy the disk for your car from Rockauto for about 40 bucks.

#32 ·
The '65 and '66 200 motors are completely different. Like comparing apples to oranges. The flywheel, pressure plate, clutch disk, bell housing, and block design are all different and are not interchangeable in any way. There are plenty of options for the '66 block, but the '65 block there are none.

If I could do it all over again, I would have taken the time to source a good '66 block before starting my build to save me time and money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.