Vintage Mustang Forums banner

CJ Pony parts. Gerrrrr.

1K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Steve@CJPP 
#1 ·
I have my transmission out to be rebuilt and figured I'd better change out my universal joints while I was at it for peace of mind. So I go to CJ pony parts to order two new joints, a front and a rear for a 1965 with V8 and C4 transmission. I get the old ones out and low and behold the stinkers are the wrong ones....... The caps are almost 1/16" to big with made in Japan wrote on it....... You would like to think that a mustang resto store would stock and sell parts that have the proper specs for the application. This has me aggregated. Needed to vent. I Will call them Monday to see what they can do for me. Anyways do any of you'all know where I can get the proper ones?

#2 ·
I picked up some Spicers at my local parts store for my application.

#4 ·
Im sorry you are 'aggregated'. Sounds like you have never made a mistake so you need to scream to all of us that CJP made a mistake. And OMG - 'made in japan'...cats and dogs living together...mass hysteria. Next thing you are going to tell us is you got something made in red china!

I HATE when people do this without trying to let the supplier fix the issue.

Im sure they will help you if you just call or email and explain the issue. Ive dealt with CJP for many years and have always been satisfied with their products and customer service.

Paul

#5 ·
Before blaming CJ Pony, you sure your car has the original equipment?

If someone swapped out the rear, or just the yoke, it'll be different in your car.

But yeah, all sizes will likely be in stock at any local parts store.

#6 ·
You rant first then say you're going to call them Monday? Ready, shoot, aim.
Stan

#7 ·
So I am in England. Okay. 3000 miles away from the USA

I visit Pa USA and order universal joints for my car. I call summit and purchase a fixed and slip yoke and two universal joints for my car as I am having a new driveshaft built. I ask them if they are correct. YES.

They then arrive and I test fit and one seems darn close but not fitting. I ring them. Speak to technical. Can you look up my order and let me know if these are correct? Maybe they are press fit? YES those are correct

I am now back in the Uk. Anyone need a Universal joint? Mine doesnt fit

I am old enough to remember going into a parts shop and the guy behind the counter knew every part you wanted without going into the greasy books splayed on the counter.

#8 ·
It appears that with the number of vehicles in "current stable" you should have the knowledge that U-joints come in a myriad of sizes.

If lived that far from a supplier I would get a set of "mikes" or digital calipers and measure the part I want replaced and then go on line and search for the exact part number of the piece I was replacing and using that information ensure that I was getting the correct piece.

In our hobby we deal with cars that could be 50 years old. Who knows what has been substituted on them and just ordering a "u-joint for a 66 Mustang" is not enough information to ensure you are getting a part that will fit.

#9 · (Edited)
Kechke.

I fully take your point on board and just wanted to comment

I was having a new drive shaft made in Uk and purchased a slip yoke and fixed yoke to being back to UK whilst I was in PA

They both said 1330 on them if memory serves and i thus bought 1330 universals. Seemed pretty obvious. For whatever reason one of them was not correct for one of the yokes. I asked when ordering and also after receiving and was assured they were correct

I'm guessing but Id say 90 percent of classic car owners dont have mics in their tool box and probably 99 9/10ths percent don't take them on holiday.

I feel acompany representative either needs to say "I dont know" which is fine when asked a question or "I do know" and supply the correct info.

I've researched a toaster purchase for three days. I am not a willy nilly purchaser but when 1330 universals don't match '1330 Required' yokes I am at a loss

Cheers. Peter

#10 ·
I'm guessing but Id say 90 percent of classic car owners dont have mics in their tool box and probably 99 9/10ths percent don't take them on holiday
Good point, Peter. It can be frustrating at times.

#11 ·
Back to the OP. My '65 originally came with a V8 and a C4. I'm still using the driveshaft and yokes that came with the car when I bought it in 1980. The rear u-joint replacement is a Moog #498 with 1" and 1.125" caps, and the front u-joint is a Moog #507 with 1" caps all they way around.

#12 ·
I don't really have a gripe with any of the vendors, except for the normal oddities of pricing and shipping. Hence I jump between CJ, NPD, Kentucky and MU. For basics (bearings, cups, some of the bushings) I go E-Bay or Amazon.

What I have found though, is that part nos. have been modified and/or dropped, and the vendors' part# schemes don't always make it easy to match the appropriate parts. When I rebuilt my differential and transmission (3 speed from a 66 200) I found myself measuring things very carefully and comparing to the original Ford nos, before double checking with the vendor that part xyx really was the right part. In two cases I needed to buy from a NOS vendor and then tell him his designations were wrong.

Even now I have an issue. I bought the Scott Drake sway-bar bushing kit for a 66. Fits the sway-bar beautifully but it's too wide by 50% and doesn't come anywhere near the mounting brackets on the car. It's the right no. and everything...

#13 ·
I'm a little confused..... if you go to CJ's webpage and search for "universal joint" for a 1965 you get 4 driveshaft universal joints... two for outside snap rings and two for inside snap rings. If you have inside snap rings you would have received a 507 for the front, which has 1" caps all around, and a 498 for the rear which has a pair of 1" caps and a pair of 1.125" caps. If you have outside snap rings, you would have received a 429 for the front which has 1.063" caps all around, and a 430 for the rear which has a pair of 1.063" caps and a pair of 1.125" caps.

Do you have inside or outside snap rings? Sounds like you have inside snap rings.... which ones did you order and receive?

BTW, when it comes to items that are NOT Mustang specific, you can get most locally or from places like Amazon or rockauto.com for a lot less.

#14 · (Edited)
Well that solved it. I ordered the 507 and 498 and received the 429 and 430. Thank you kindly. Sadly I did not look at the box part number before I started mark that to a lesson learned double check my order when I get it.

With my work schedule it's easier to order online than get to a store the next town over. Never tried rock auto may give them a try

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.