Need help tuning quick fuel carb! - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

So I have a guy I work with pick me up every morning to take me too and from work. I told him that tomorrow morning we will take the stang. He's a young guy. Never driven anything carbd. Or 4 wheel drum... or super sloppy shifter or... it goes on and on. Anyway.. tomorrow I have a feeling will be REALLY interesting...its 40 mins one way. Freeway driving of 70mph... dono. Might get crazy. His daily driver is a stick... so atleast we have that. Wish I could drive... but what ev. Usually I don't comply with rules of any kind.. but the thought of injuring myself or others... I have a wife now... just turned 30.. guess it's time to grow up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Drive went great! He was scared to death of the go pedal... he did hit it one time maybe 80% throttle through 2nd gear. Felt good.... I don't think the secondarys opened. But who knows. At one point cruising at 35 in 4th gear he kinda stuck the throttle hard. Maybe a sudden 40%. He didn't notice it at all but I felt a tiny bog.. I know my car. Even in the pass seat I could tell it stumbled a sinch. Given it was low rpm in 4th gear.. but the old holley 600 4bbl wouldn't bog no matter the situation. Even 20 mph in 4th gear. Punch the gas to the floor it would just smoothly accel through. There was a alot of time we could smell raw fuel. It does puff a tiny bit of black smoke at Idle. Given my found drivability issues.. what would you suggest? Is a bog to much fuel or to little? Adjust accel pump? Running really rich.. although I averaged very good mpg (way way better than with old carb) the fuel trim screws are set 1.5turns out from seat.
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 12:29 AM

Garage
You may need a 1 step stronger secondary spring.

331 solid flat cam, rings and bearings break in run up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MNjb-AiWec

331 break in complete and is waiting on me to finish the body work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhnOk5FCBkE

One of the last tnt's on my 289 may she rest in pieces. It ran in the
high 11's low 12's when it was at its best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2yWPZGfMT0

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

You think the secondarys tried opening when he poked the throttle causing the slight bog? He really just poked it and let up withen a second. I think on this carb the 2nd,s are adjustable with out replacing the spring. Also can I turn the idle mix screws all the way to seated and drive like that?
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 11:29 AM

If you feel you HAVE to do something , stop going to near WOT at 35mph in 4th gear. What gear you have in the rear? With 3.70:1's in 4rth I'm below 2000rpm.

Turn the secondary adjustment screw IN 1/4 turn.

YOU can do whatever you want,it's your carb, but if it is running pretty well now your at the point where you want to start tuning in 1/8 turn mixture screw adjustments then drive for a day or so.
OR just leave it,the weather is about to change and todays "perfect" will not be Decembers "perfect".

When your ready to go beyond seat of the pants you need a fuel mixture indicator (Air Fuel Ratio) a Tach and vacuum gauge and somebody to drive the car while you take notes. Then you need to learn how to read plugs. Then at some point you will want to tune WOT so you will be going to the drag strip or DYNO,it goes on from there.
Sounds like it's fine as is.................

Last edited by cyclone03; 10-11-2015 at 11:38 AM.
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Drag strip? Lol that's what the child filled city streets are for. J/k. And the rear gear? That a question of my own. At 70mph in 4th the tach is at 3200. Has New 205/70/14 tires.. il try turning the idle screws in 1/8 turn.
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 01:28 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65vertable View Post
Drag strip? Lol that's what the child filled city streets are for. J/k. And the rear gear? That a question of my own. At 70mph in 4th the tach is at 3200. Has New 205/70/14 tires.. il try turning the idle screws in 1/8 turn.
Turning the idle screws isn't going to affect anything other then when the throttle plates are closed or near closed. Once you're running on the main circuit they are no longer a factor. If the "bog" only happens when suddenly opening the throttle and only when opening it a larger amount, then it probably IS the secondaries opening too soon. If it happens regardless of throttle opening, be it a little or a lot, then it could be either spark advance or accelerator pump related.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Ok idle screws only effect idle. It does run rich at idle.. so maybe that will fix that. I might stick a go pro in the secondarys.. see what they are doing and when. If anything at all. And I will adjust the accel pump for an extra little splash.
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 11:06 AM

Little bit old topic but I'm fighting with Quick Fuel 600cfm carb too, idle is too rich and I want to change Idle feed restrictors smaller but I cannot find any stampings on those little "jets". Anyone know what is stock size of those? I can then order new ones. Thanks !

I have asked same question few days ago from Quick Fuel but haven't got any answer yet.

Mustang HT 289/302 4-speed 1966
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak72 View Post
Little bit old topic but I'm fighting with Quick Fuel 600cfm carb too, idle is too rich and I want to change Idle feed restrictors smaller but I cannot find any stampings on those little "jets". Anyone know what is stock size of those? I can then order new ones. Thanks !

I have asked same question few days ago from Quick Fuel but haven't got any answer yet.
They don't list the ifr size on their calibration list. http://www.quickfueltechnology.com.a...tails-AUST.pdf

You can buy a set of pin drills and measure the size of the restriction using the "go, no go" method. If I had to guess I would would say the stock size was somewhere around .028.

1973 Mustang Convertible
460 D0VE-C Heads w/CJ size valves, Lunati voodoo 227/233 cam, Edelbrock performer rpm manifold, FPA headers, Holley 950 HP carb, C6 w/2500 stall converter, 3.25 trac lock
post #41 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 01:37 AM

Thanks for the calib list, I ordered from Ebay set of drill bits, with those I can measure size of that IFR hole.

Mustang HT 289/302 4-speed 1966
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page