Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Interesting article-THE FIVE MOST EXPENSIVE MUSTANGS SOLD AT AUCTION

991 views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  donkeykong 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Seriously...it's easily one of the most iconic vehicles in Hollywood history, hands down!

Just because the older generation thinks it's an "abomination" the younger crowd, those in their 30's and 40's that saw the movie as kids, think it's the coolest thing to ever cross the silver screen.

My opinion is exactly the opposite of yours, I think it's gorgeous, and would love to have it sitting next to my '65 in the garage.

What I find to be an "abomination" is the yellow thing from the original movie which would sell for nowhere near what the modern one did at auction.

#3 ·
Wow, I had no idea there was a classic mustang super snake. Awesome! Thanks for the article

#5 ·
OK, the Eleanor thing. The actual cars built by the place in Texas at least had some very expensive coilover suspension on them. For every one of those, there are many other home made "Eleanor" cars that are nothing but 67-68 fastbacks with a body kit and wheels. Big difference in my opinion. At any rate, they are not Shelbys. Furthermore, what I can't stand is when I see a picture of one and the caption says "67 Shelby GT500" below it..... I guess the real difference is only the actual car from the movie is on the list while the other cars on the list are actual classics......

#6 ·
I don't think the Eleanor is an ugly bastard - but I still think it's a fake car - and in no way as appealing as the REAL classics on that list. Give me the choice between an original 69-70 BOSS 302 or a 65-66 GT 350, and I would pick that over the Hollywood car any day!
But I guess we must respect the attention the Eleanor has given all other Mustangs around the world.

BTW - I am 41 now and saw the movie back in my mid twenties.

Happy Thanksgiving Day to you all:grin2:

Bebob

#10 ·
I'm with you hands down that I would also take an original GT350 over some Eleanor clone somebody made...I don't think that's even a question.

Would I take an original '65 GT350 over the actual Eleanor from the 2000 movie, not a clone somebody made....not on your life!

Anybody that would say otherwise is just posturing at this point! Nobody is taking a $100,000 car over a $1,000,000+ car...because it's original.

#7 ·
Apparently the 67 Eleanor is a documented Gone in 60 Seconds movie car so I can see why it would get a high price.

If an authentic Bullit movie car came up for sale, I can't even imagine what that car would go for.

#8 ·
It has been documented that one of the two original Bullitt movie cars still exists in private hands. The other was reportedly scrapped after filming was completed due to damage incurred. I daresay if the remaining one were to be put up for sale it would blow right past Shelby's Super Snake to the number one spot in price. Who knows how much that thing would sell for? That would be one heck of an auction to watch, that's for sure. :yoho:

#9 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.