Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Shelby stripes. Finding center of roof on 67 Coupe

2K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  cstrom 
#1 ·
Just curious-

I am getting to the point where Ill be sealing the shell (no doors, hood, trunk or fenders) and temporarily laying out the stripes so that I can spray the jambs. Finding the center of the cowl/hood is easy with the body line that runs down it. Once I get to the roof though, since its "convex" its hard to see that im laying the tape down directly in the middle (if that makes any sense)

There is a notch that is 1/4 wide and close to center line in the windshield and rear window openings. Measuring from drip rail to drip rail does not seem accurate to me because even if you look down them they are not laser straight from the factory.

Any tips for a guy? I need to get things perfect because ill be spraying the stripes in the jams of the hood/cowl and trunk jamb. and then assembling the car and spraying the rest of the base coat/ stripes and clear in spring.

#2 · (Edited)
Played with a laser I picked up for cheap. I'm only nervous about being dead center along the roof. Maybe I need a second person to help lay that out. One on each end. ..

Attachments

#22 ·
+++ looks logical to me. You could take a tape across the roof at the end of the door windows at the gutter to give a mid point on the length.

#5 ·
You may want to check out Brandas catalog or website for stripe dimensions before you paint. There is an optical effect that takes place when laid down even. There is a taper from front to rear/rear to front. Also a distance of 2 inches between stripes. Not sure of how "correct" you want them to be.

#10 ·
There is a body line on each side of the roof. Measure from each side to the center to find the center on both the front and the back. easy stuff. It also really helps to have 2 people to lay down the tape. I just did a fastback yesterday, different but the same. lasers are a good idea but for my money you cant beat a tape measure.

Attachments

#14 ·
I actually started measuring of that line but the way the tape measure kinked when I followed the curve I didn't feel it would be accurate. What type of tape did you use. I have a rope tape but it's pretty sketchy. Not for precise measurements.

#16 · (Edited)
Got my cowl stripes on! Just need to sand a few bleed thru spots this morning and bury in clear!

I happened to have a 10' Stanley in my kitchen junk drawer! That was the trick for making sure it was all square!
I taped it all out then went inside for a cup of coffee to clear my head before I sprayed. Went out and re-measured everything and on on of the trunk jamb stripes on the tail light panel I laid my fine line tape on the wrong side of the mark so my stripe would have been 1/4 too wide! Luckily I always measure 4 times and spray once haha.

I have some bleed throughs in a few spots on the tight curves ill need to sand out today before clear. Any one have a grit recommendation? I have some 600,800,1000 and 1500 on hand...

I used the 3M 1/4" fine line tape. I used the eraser end of a old school wooden pencil to press the tape down in the tight curves but it still lifted a little bit- Would love to learn a trick to do this without bleed thru-
All the straight lines came out perfect, it was just the tight bends-

#17 ·
#18 · (Edited)
Use the notches in the front and rear window pinch welds. There is actually a little arrow at center if I recall. The studs for the molding clips are also evenly spaced and centered. You can center it in between the center two studs. Measure the windshield opening to verify, but you'll find these marks will put you dead nuts center. The roof is the easiest panel to center and measure. But your best measurement is to go by the window opening rather than a body line and you don't risk scratching paint with a tape as well. I use fabric tape measure for making these types of measurements. I just put masking tape over the metal ends. Sweet talk your wife into letting you borrow hers. Promise you'll return it clean, and after two days she will have forgotten about it :). That's how I had her tape out in the shop for six months.

Mark off the edge of your strip with a sharpie and put your fine line tape down there. Walk it to the back of the car and pull it nice and tight and straight, and set it down on the edge mark you marked at the back window.

This is a blog entry I wrote on it, it might help you

http://joshlizer.blogspot.com/2013/10/paint-part-ii-painting-lemans-stripes.html?m=1

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#19 ·
Thanks Lizer! I had come across your blog one one other time before I had come this far- Good stuff and thanks for doing such!

I just double checked and I was not blessed with arrows but the distance between the window molding studs is exactly nut on.

Forgive me if I am wrong but did you paint over the sharpie lines you used to mark the stripes?? I could be picturing this wrong in my head as well haha

#21 ·
Thanks Lizer! I had come across your blog one one other time before I had come this far- Good stuff and thanks for doing such!

I just double checked and I was not blessed with arrows but the distance between the window molding studs is exactly nut on.

Forgive me if I am wrong but did you paint over the sharpie lines you used to mark the stripes?? I could be picturing this wrong in my head as well haha

The fine line tape would go just to the edge of the little sharpie mark and yes, it would just get painted over.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#20 ·
Little late but when looking for center I just use a piece of string, or whatever is handy. Pull across and hold at the drip rails if you have a helper. Use tape on one side if alone. Fold the string in half and fold a piece of tape across the center. Fold it back again after putting the tape on and make a Sharpie mark on the tape, dead center. Lay it back on the car. Simpler than fussing about with 1/16's of an inch and such. Since our cars tend to be different widths, you have to pull the center tape off and use a fresh piece to repeat the process for different parts of the car. Simple and very hard to screw up, unlike halving measurements in your head.

#23 ·
Great info thanks guys -

One quick question- not sure how our where this came from but I have a tiny chip on the white stripe. Can I take a toothpick and just put a tiny dot of base in there? Or what's the best method?
Not really concerned if its a slightly visible repair its in the jamb of the trunk so it would not be seen unless your really looking...

Attachments

#25 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.