Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Dipsticks

868 views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Josep 
#1 ·
Hello,

I'm trying to get my pony as close to concours as I'm able, and have a dipstick question.
Got the trans dipstick painted in yellow color (?), and the oil in red.
For what I have read, oil dipstick should be blue for a San Jose 1966 Coupe 200 SIX. But how about the trans. one..?
Which colors are correct so I can reprint them..?

Thanks

#3 ·
That yellow oil cap/dipstick stuff didn't happen until more than a decade later. And yes, unless you have a 289HP, 390GT, or 428CJ, the dipstick was painted with the engine, meaning 64-65 were black, and 66-73 were Ford Corporate Blue. Even then, the tube was painted.

I'm inclined to think the transmission dipstick and tube were semigloss black, and that's certainly how I would prepare them. I have seen far too many OEM tubes painted black to think that everybody in America was crawling under their car with a spray can.

#4 ·
the tube was black. the handle & stick are bare. below is directly from the mca rules.

H. Engine Components to be Natural: Bell housing, accelerator rod and linkage, distributor
hold-down bracket and bolt, fan spacer, alternator and generator spacers, and automatic
transmission dipstick handle. Natural paint may be used as long as part retains original
appearance ..................................................................................................................................... 3
Workmanship, condition and cleanliness ......................................................................................... 4

#6 ·
Thanks carlite65 and 22GT for your clarications.!
Also, is there a place where to check for original models..? Not sure mine (at least oil dipstick) is the right one, the handle is a complete red round.

#7 ·
See pic attached

See the red circle attached, seem not to be the right for this pony.

Attachments

#9 ·
I'll do it tomorrow mate, now it's too dark here, sorry.!

#10 ·
What the heck.! A torch helped me so here I go.!
Stamped in the rod I can read "WARRANTY REQUIRES SE/101-C OIL FORD E8AJ-6750-AA"
Some 88 Ford part..?

Attachments

#11 ·
Red handle dipstick

Here's the top part

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.