Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Help! Stolen 1967 Mustang Fastback in South Carolina

4K views 39 replies 22 participants last post by  radojko 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, a good friend of mine who lives out of Summersville South Carolina has had his 1967 Mustang Fastback stolen. Here is the link to the craigslist Stolen ad...

https://charleston.craigslist.org/wan/5393468463.html

It is a dark blue 67 fastback. Please contact him if anyone can help with the whereabouts.

God bless

#2 ·
Hello everyone, a good friend of mine ... has had his 1967 Mustang Fastback stolen...
Why did he arrange to have it stolen? :shrug:

Sorry, English pet peeve of mine...

Hope it comes up in once piece. On the same continent. :wink:

#3 ·
Posting this vehicle on Craig's List was a very good idea.

Make sure that it gets posted in the Craig's List surrounding cities and states. If your local police have a Crime Line or similar type program for paying rewards; this may prompt some to come forward. They won't have to testify. Local & state police often have these type programs. Check with the Detective that's handling your investigation for assurance on their reward program. Then you can add this money incentive reward bonus to your Craig's List post. You need to add the name of the Detective, the name of the law enforcement agency and a good contact number in your post.

Keep a check on eBay for parts that you may be able to identify off your car. Just in case it gets parted out, yikes!!!!

Register with other Mustang and Muscle Car forums and post your information with pictures. Send PM messages to some of the major Mustang Clubs and have them disseminate the information regarding your car to their members. Ask everyone to please spread the word. It's important to do this as quickly as possible.

Criminals snitching on one another to avoid jail is one motivating factor for solving crime. Abused girlfriends and wives account for another batch. Revenge and money are another factor that help police trump these fool. But I swear, those of us who love our cars would never tolerate stealing; even stealing from you. This internet can reach out to millions and this may be your best shot.

Good luck and I hope you get her back.

#11 ·
Well... I managed to restore my car twice in 3 years... :shrug:

I'm actually looking to theft proof mine a bit after seeing this. Any recommendations as to what GPS system to use? I'd rather not do the 800$ LoJack system
You're going to spend some cash if you want GPS done right. It's up to you if it's worth it or not. I wouldn't go LoJack as it is not supported everywhere in the US anyways. Most of the big alarm companies (Viper, Clifford, etc.) have GPS alarm systems that can interface with your smartphone, and that's a pretty good setup. The downfall of GPS is that it can't "see" inside things like shipping containers, parking garages, underground anything... anywhere that your phone has no signal, basically. There is no perfect system.

That said, my car has kill switches, a hood lock, and an alarm system to make life harder for thieves.

#8 ·
I'm actually looking to theft proof mine a bit after seeing this. Any recommendations as to what GPS system to use? I'd rather not do the 800$ LoJack system

G
#13 ·
Even where and how you park has a lot to do with it being stolen. Which direction you park, where are light? Pulling the rotor as Frankie says is an easy one, takes maybe 15 seconds. I used to do that with my T-Bird, put the rotor in my pocket and go into the store. Switch the wires on the solenoid, another very easy thing to do.

#25 · (Edited)
And put the ignition coil plus wire on loosely so that in case they figure out the rest and still drive off the wire falls off on the first bumps on the road. Problem sometimes was I forgot about the loose wire and it DOES fall off!! Also, forget to switch back solonoid wires and turn ignition key and starter sometimes won't stop.

Problem I had was people saying, "Oh, you're removing the rotor right?" to which the answer was nope, something wrong with car and I'm "sorting" it out.

#17 ·
I will pass along a lesson I learned the hard way. It mostly pertains to vehicles that are left "safe" in the garage. I am the victim of vehicle theft from my own garage. I had a 3 month old 08' GT500 stolen. What I learned was the keys left in a kitchen drawer were not hidden well enough. After this I thought about all the people who have a key hanger board or holder most likely in the kitchen making them very easy to find. In the event of a home burglary thieves will have no trouble finding the car keys. I now lock them in a large safe. While this may not be the answer for vintage cars, it is something to think about where your newer vehicles are concerned.

#24 ·
I am considering what to do with mine when ready to go. Here are some of my thoughts:
Coil wire- many car thieves carry extra coil wires, also, many thefts of classics aren't drive aways: push it onto a trailer
I looked a LoJack- I found that many, many areas away from major population areas are not covered.
Thinking of system that calls me- monthly costs of a cellular bill and the need to always be monitoring my phone are a pain
E-brake might be possible thought

#27 · (Edited)
If someone wants it bad enough, they get a decent looking flatbed (so as not to arouse suspicion), maybe even with a nice but fake magnetic logo on the doors, drag the car up, and drive away. No worries about wires, rotors, brakes, etc. Then park it in a warehouse or container where there is no cell phone coverage, yank the battery, and let it cool off for a few weeks or months or longer.

How many of you have seen a tow truck driver going about his business and did not think twice about what was really going on?

Many years ago my brother had a 69 TA stolen right after he bought it from an older retired Pontiac guy. The thieves thought it was still the old guy's car since it was at his house. Car disappeared for about 10 years. Then it shows up on trading times. We looked in the obituaries, and the original owner had recently died. The thieves had a lot of patience and figured it was safe to sell. The car was sitting behind a house, surrounded by 8 other cars, behind an 8' high fence. Who would have known. Yes we were able to get the car back.

That said, doing nothing is unwise. Doing the simple things might stop the honest people. Dad used to say that the door locks on the door are to keep the nosy neighbors out. Deadbolts keep the mischievous teenagers out. Nothing keeps the professional thief out.

#33 ·
^^^ This.

Also, here's something many of you probably DON'T know and are feeling quite secure about, right now.....

Your car is safe and sound inside your garage...you think. A thief, with a 3-foot long piece of stiff wire with a loop on the end can slip it between the upper and 2nd panel on your door, snag the manual release for your garage door opener, yank it and simply lift up the door to gain access. Untie that knot and remove the plastic knob so there's nothing to hook on to.

#28 ·
a key hanger board or holder most likely in the kitchen making them very easy to find
Go to the local junk store and buy a ton of old keys and key chains. Put them on display, hide the real ones!! :smile2:

As noted with most common tools/tricks you are stopping the inept thief and the joyriders, the pros will get it if they want it. Insurance is a must.

End of the day... its just a car.

#35 ·
Good question. The website says it is blue tooth based - so if a class 1 type device (like a laptop, with plenty of power) that would be about 100 feet. Class 2 devices are about 20 feet.

Don't think either one will do for a car...

#38 ·
My Alabama brother told me 40 years ago that I could hook up a coil to the car so that if someone touched it they would get zapped like grabbing a spark plug wire. I think he was afraid of liability because he wouldn't tell me how to do it. He just said think about it for a while and you'll figure it out. Well, I haven't thought about it because I haven't needed it, but maybe now is the time, and maybe someone here knows how to set it up.

#39 ·
Unless some locations has specific laws, it is not illegal for anyone to touch the outside of your car, even door handles. As you said, there may be liability issues. But with more plastic and painted surfaces, you need a conductive surface for someone to touch, you might be able to limit the areas of contact.

David

#40 ·
I'm a firm believe in the GPS tracker device.

My 65 vert was stolen TWICE in the span of 3 months. In both cases, I recovered the car (myself) within a half hour of detection, thanks to the GPS tracker. Since then, I've added open-door detection/reporting capability and movement detection that notifies me when the car is moved more than 200 meters. I'm also contemplating adding the ability to remotely disable the ignition if necessary.

It's not 100% foolproof, but it does let me sleep a lot better...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.