Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Adding a hood scoop to 1969 convertible

19K views 33 replies 18 participants last post by  PetesPonies 
#1 ·
Because of a failed latch and a gust of wind on the highway, I now need to replace the hood on my 69 convertible. I want to add a hood scoop (Mach 1-style, I think) while I'm at it, and probably paint the hood like a Mach 1. Who has successfully added a scoop, and where did you get it? The previous owner included one when I bought the car, but it doesn't seem to fit right when I test fit. It looks like it requires a flat hood, but the hood on a 69 has a raised part and a ridge down the middle. I'm afraid to buy another scoop and find that it's the same, needing a flat hood. What do you think?

#3 ·
#5 ·
Oddly, the 69 hood scoop only had holes for the turn signals, not to let air in. In fact, there was a rubber flap behind the grille to keep out water and leaves.

#9 ·
I posted this on the FB group. there's a guy in the Dallas area that makes carbon fiber race parts. ive been talking to him about making a hood for my 69 and was talking about getting some others involved if interested. Shoot me a PM if it's something you might be interested in.

#11 ·
Yeah a shaker looks awesome. The scoop that you call a mach one scoop was also on a GT. I don't know about the grande. They look fine until you see a shaker lol. Or a boss 429 scoop (monster).

#12 · (Edited)
That's true, the bolted scoop was used on many models, it was standard on the mach1. It was NOT available on the BOSS 302, but was included in several appearance groups.

The "shaker" was available on certain engines, on most models of the Mustang.

#13 ·
Just a little side track... when i was 16-17 I had a '67 Cougar, and my buddy sold me this same scoop from his car for like $10...,. I proceeded to fit the scoop up perfectly side to side, front to back... then layed down masking tape to mark the stud locations for drilling.... being a dumb kid i ended up drilling right thru the top cover of my new chrome air cleaner... my dad just snickered with a "you will learn kid"..... :) ... You should remember this when you go to drill yours...

#22 ·
YES! The '67-'68 version is still one of my all time favorites, always loved the look of the Cougar... i was fortunate to own both a '67 and '68..... :)

#14 ·
I added a Mach 1 scoop and turn signals to my coupe and painted the hood like a Mach 1. It looks very good. I got a high quality OEM scoop as some people were having trouble with some of the repops fitting correctly.

Attachments

#24 ·
The truth about hood scoops is that they warp, so make darn sure that you know what brand scoop to get. Asking others that have had their new Mach 1 scoops installed for a few years is the way to go..

:eek:)

Tony K.

#25 ·
You can also make the Mach 1 scoops functional.

Here is mine...maybe not as cool as a Shaker, but it don't cost me 1-2k for a steel shaker either and it is probably equally as effective at routing cold air to the engine.

The pie shape cuts are stock ford...and probably hinted at another RAM air/cold air setup that never came to pass.

[/URL][/IMG]

#26 · (Edited)
Schweigert, you should consider a K&N flow through air cleaner lid if you make the scoop functional (You too SVTguy!). I just added one along with one of their filter elements to my shaker setup, the results were immediate! Definite increase in power. If you're funneling air to the metal lid, not doing too much.

The shaker conversion on my convertible has to be one of my favorite aesthetic/performance mods I've done!

#31 ·
True. Drake now offers the unit from, IIRC, fordramair. But at a much lower price than back in the day. I have seen these units, and while they would not fool an AACA judge, they would wow the folks at cruise night.

I don't see why it's status as fiberglass would be a problem, unless it's on a car pretending to be OEM ram air.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.