Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Best way to get race ways out of axels??

3K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  gregb 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

This morning I jacked the car up and pulled the axles and center section out my stock 9" in preparation for a 31 spline Detroit truetrac/axle upgrade.

The axles and pumpkin popped right out on their out accord very easily. Probably because the rearend was rebuild when the PO restored the car 3k miles ago. Too bad he cheeped out and left the open diff when he rebuilt it with 3.70 gears, otherwise I could have left it be all together....oh well....lol

I have decide that I'm going to get a shop to install re-assemble my centre section as it seems that enough specially skills/tools are probably better left to the professionals.

Couple of questions.

Is it possible to salvage the bearing seals/retainers form my 28 spline units?

If get new 31 spline axles with seals retainers pressed on with the same style of bearing etc, can I just leave the raceways in the axles?

If the raceways have to come out what is the best way? Hi speed zip cut?

Anyone use TEN Factory Axels?

I doing a AOD to TKO600 swap and I have to swap the TKO yoke on to my existing AOD automatic drive shaft. From the reading I have do I'm not sure if I can re-use this shaft as it may be too long or to short....does anyone know?

See less See more
#2 ·
I wouldn't re-use any seals or bearings on a new build.

I have a set of TEN factory axles brand new with studs in a box, they look nice. I ended up having custom axles made by Moser since I needed to use a large bearing instead of the normal small. I really have nothing but great things to say about Moser, quick shipping, they listened to what I needed and it was at my door 3 days later. weren't too much more then the TEN factory axles and the Moser units came with studs and bearings pre-installed. Took it right out of the box and went right onto the car.

Moser Engineering - Moser Engineering - Home

#5 ·
I've heard that 31 spline axles are larger in diameter than the 28 spline. If this is true, the bearings and seals will be different.

#10 ·
You'll have to gently press the bearings off the old axle, then press them back onto the new axles. IMO, it'll just be easier to press new bearings on one time, but that's just me. Also, you might as well replace your axle seals while you're in there. I know they only have 3,000 miles on them, but I just like the added insurance.

#16 ·
You better post up a pic of your axle and whatever bearing is on it now. Stock would look like Pete posted. If it's a taper bearing then it's not stock.
If it is stock the bearing on the 28 spline axle is the same as the bearing on a 31 spline axle. The 31 spline axle however also had an extra sleeve pressed on where the seal rides due to the larger diameter of the seal for the 31 spline axle.
Old National (think it's Federal Mogul now) numbers for the seals are 9363 for the 31 spline axle and 9569S for the 28 spline axle. It is possible to use the larger 31 spline axle with the smaller 28 spline axle seal, although it is difficult to get the splined part of the axle past the seal without damaging it, which it why Ford went to the larger seal/sleeve combo.
The seals are easy to get, the sleeve for the 31 spline, not so much. I know there is a company making the sleeve, but I can't find the link at the moment.
I would get new bearings for your new axles and leave the old ones on the old axles. I haven't used Ten Factory Ford axles, but I used a set on another brand of car without issue, the quality was good especially for the price.

#17 ·
If he does in fact have a tapered roller bearing, the seal would be outboard of the bearing. This would allow the tapered bearing to be bathed in gear oil for lubrication.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.