Vintage Mustang Forums banner

DI or TMI

1K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Chaplin 
#1 ·
So yesterday I purchased some fox body seats from a 1990 GT. $50! They are in decent shape. I have been looking through the threads on the forum and on the google machine for pictures. I haven't seen fox seats with just plain 1966 vinyl. Ive seen them with the Mach 1 style and Pony style. Im pretty sure I will have to custom order it. I was just wondering if anyone has custom ordered though either companies, what was the cost? I don't want to go with the Pony or Mach 1 style because my back seat still has the original vinyl which is in really good shape. Ive heard that Distinctive matches vinyl better, but I haven't seen any pics of fox seats with a vintage pattern.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
So yesterday I purchased some fox body seats from a 1990 GT. $50 http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/images/smilies/pirashoot.gif They are in decent shape. I have been looking through the threads on the forum and on the google machine for pictures. I haven't seen fox seats with just plain 1966 vinyl. Ive seen them with the Mach 1 style and Pony style. Im pretty sure I will have to custom order it. I was just wondering if anyone has custom ordered though either companies, what was the cost? I don't want to go with the Pony or Mach 1 style because my back seat still has the original vinyl which is in really good shape. Ive heard that Distinctive matches vinyl better, but I haven't seen any pics of fox seats with a vintage pattern.
Go to cjp, go to upholstery and change the year of mustang to the year of the seats and you will see all black vinyl like you are looking for. That's what I ordered. It's 251.99 for the front seats.

#4 ·
Thats the one that i got. I am aware that they dont match the back. TMI does make a vintage one that you can special order.

As far as the rear i am either going to have a upholstery shop redo them and match the front or go with one of these two options. They have a little of both vertical and horizontal so i think it will go well.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/tmi-rear...y-logo-console-pony-coupe-1965-1966/p/U145-V/

http://www.cjponyparts.com/tmi-rear...es-with-console-standard-coupe-1965/p/U150-V/

#5 ·
The simplest way I have found to match the rear seat to whatever year/style seat you have on the front is to have an upholsterer cover up the original back seat frame to match the front.

For example, here is mine - I have 05-09 seat in the front, then had the original rear frame matched to the front. In my case, I had the material to the 05-09 back seat. The upholsterer filled in the areas with extra foam to fill in the hump & bolster areas, then grafted it to the original frame.

Good luck with your project, let us know how it turns out.

Attachments

#12 ·
That's me!

I'm very happy with the DI front seat covers on my Fox frames. The vinyl exactly matches the color of the rear vinyl. I've found that it scratches somewhat easily (have to watch it when I'm wearing any studded belt) but that may be true of all vinyls, not sure. It's taken a lot of abuse from me and seems to be holding up excellently with no signs of wear or ripped seams. Went on the frames pretty easily, though I had a hell of a time getting the bottom buns done as I didn't replace the original seat foam and had to pad it up to get the seat covers to fit without any wrinkles.

#9 ·
Ordered my 1990 fox upholstery from TMI

Didn't have to match the rears as I have a rear seat delete.

Upholstery fit really well on the FOX foam.

Install could not be easier. Tap two existing holes in the fox seat frame and bolt on the vintage frames to the newer seats.

#15 ·
I used the old foam. I've had several interiors done now and they appear to use a thin foam sheet to bulk up where needed. The used fox seats did have nice shape before the new covers or i would have bought new foam

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.