Vintage Mustang Forums banner

convert to a fastback

3K views 34 replies 19 participants last post by  PetesPonies 
#1 ·
anyone ever try to convert a 1970 convertible into a fastback . have a good lead on a solid 70 vert

#2 ·
Given that the value of convertibles is roughly (for the most part anyways) akin to the value of fastbacks, why would someone take on the expense of conversion? Just go find and buy a freakin' FB to begin with. And if the vert is that good of a deal, buy it, flip it, and then get the FB you desire.

#3 ·
Seems like the vert would have a lot of extra metal around the top boot and extra reinforcement in the trunk area as well as the underside. The coupe and fastbacks don't have the extra reinforcement panels. I haven't seen/heard of anyone doing a convertible to fastback conversion. I'm thinking the vert has too many vert-only anomalies that a coupe conversion is a lot easier (not to mention the intrinsic value of the vert, maybe restoring the vert would be a better ROI).

#4 ·
Are you considering building a convertible with removable fastback roof? I've seen one, can't remember the year.

By the way welcome to VMF. Over 6 years for you first post and it's a beaut!

Slim

Reactions: John7660
#6 ·
Wasn't meant to be funny. OP joined Nov 2009, today is Feb 2016 and he's had one post.

G
#7 ·
as·i·nine
ˈasəˌnīn/Submit
adjective
extremely stupid or foolish.
"Lydia ignored his asinine remark"
synonyms: stupid, foolish, brainless, mindless, senseless, idiotic, imbecilic, ridiculous, ludicrous, absurd, nonsensical, fatuous, silly, inane, witless, empty-headed; More

#13 ·
I agree, that is what this hobby is all about, right? It was just a question: "Has anyone considered transforming a convertible to a fastback?" Obviously the answer is yes, based on all of the comments. If GRD decides to do the vert to FB conversion, I hope he takes us on the journey with him and starts a build thread with a lot of pics! This would be one helluva project to watch unfold.

And BTW...every project doesn't have to make sense. Some projects are inane...but that's what makes them so obsessively interesting! Personally, if GRD has the funds and skills, I'd like to see it.

Reactions: aslan
#14 ·
Contrary to popular belief, Pete is not in charge of welcoming new members.:shrug:
Stan

#15 ·
I gotta go with the group on this one. I have a '65 fastback that started life as a coupe, and a '66 in the same process right now. Both were decent coupes, but nothing special, and in need of restoration- so it was an easy choice. I also have 2 verts, and like mentioned earlier- much more reinforcing steel, but could be done. There's nothing in the way of the roof itself, but all of the interior structure would need to be cut out for rear seat clearance if adding one. Given that, by the time you got done cutting out the unnecessary vert parts, you'd be left with basically a 'coupe' anyway. I'd suggest you flip the vert and start with a coupe. The big question is- do you already have a fastback doner car? If no- I'd find that first as you may end up with a decent enough shell to start there and bypass the whole conversion process, right?

#18 ·
G
#24 ·
Contrary to popular belief, there are bad decisions in this world. Everyone doesn't get a trophy, there really are winners and losers. Some make money, some loose it. So . . is converting a convertible to a fastback a good idea? Hell no, not for any responsible, constructive, or financial reason. Suck it up.

#26 ·
It would be much easier starting with a hardtop. The convertible is going to cause you particular problems in the A-pillar/windshield frame region unless you get the Sportsroof structure all the way down to the cowl. IMHO, the '69-70 Convertibles are the best looking years for verts anyway and if I had a line on a solid one I'd be building it as a drop top.

#31 ·
You say your up for a new challange. More power to ya. It's refreshing that someone want's to do a car project without treating it as tho it's being evaluated by a bean counter. A fun adventure.

You might be interested in another VMF member's impractical project on the 68 convertible. He named it Black Betty. Goal was to build a 68 convertible as near perfect as possible. He made it black to make visible and imperfections in fit and finish.

Years ago a guy in California named Barris made a lot of customs that often were impractical financially. He frequently IIRC started with 49-51 Mercs.

Reactions: aslan
#28 ·
Don't let P get you down. Some people are legends in their own minds. Do what you want. And welcome to the forum.
Stan

#32 ·
If you ask me, restoring and/or modifying any old car isn't really a sensible thing to do. (Just ask my wife.) Stuff that's fun rarely does make good sense though.
I'd like to see a '69/'70 done like the car GT350H pictured above. Definitely beyond my ability.

G
#34 ·
I say go full steam ahead on a couple to fastback. I was trying to convince a member to do that just yesterday . . . for financial reasons mostly. But a convert just doesn't . . ah I already explained it. It takes Chiefs and regular Indians in the world anyway . . . . Zen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.