Vintage Mustang Forums banner

whimbledon white in spray can

4K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  spanky65 
#1 · (Edited)
so when the PO painted my car they basically did the outside only. No door jams or trunk. in a few years maybe 3-5 i plan to do a total repaint but there some areas like the jam/trunk and a little clean up under the hood that i would like to do until the paint job.

Is there a quality matching paint in spray can that would turn out decent?....better than the current faded/chipped and scratched paint on those areas? I plan to sand/prime and paint. For me, i really think it will clean up the last few areas that bug me until a total repaint can be done.

#2 ·
I wish I could remember the code and the name but Krylon had an very good match for Wimbledon white. I saw the thread about it here on the forum. I picked up a couple of can's of it at the local Walmart and it looked really close in the trunk area. It's been quite a while since I bought it, so it may have been discontinued but it's worth checking out. Keep in mind that your looking for an off white not a white-white.

#3 ·
I would be concerned with the type of paint you have vs the type of paint you will spray from the can. Different types of paint cannot be spayed on one another. It might be worth it to sand it down yourself, maybe even primer the jams yourself and then see if a local shop can touch it up. Might be worth moving up the timeline on the repaint?

#5 ·
not a bad idea right there, i could do the prep/labor and have a friend of sheetmetal friend (owns a body shop) paint the jams and trunk with real paint. It would probably only be $150-200 bucks and look clean until the repaint.

#7 ·
Dang po51 beat me to it. Its a good choice. Kinda spendy for spray cans though.
seems like a good option there, i might try hand at for learning purposes. If i don't have the skill i can always payday buddy.

#10 ·
thank you...i googled, but will be more specific now.

#11 ·
regardless of paint choice, i am interested in the how. I figured quality primer (open for recommendations) on top of taking my time sanding. Then figured light multiple coats. How would you do it?

G
#12 ·
There is no off the shelf quality primer in a can. It's all 1K. So just buy some Duplicolor primer as well. gray will be best for you. Clean the jambs with soap and water, then prep solvent. sand them with 400 wet. Wash again, prop sol again, tape them off and spray a few coats of primer. For what you are doing, I probably wouldn't even sand the primer. I would let it flash and spray the white. But you could let the primer dry and wet sand the following day. But you will go through the primer is spots, I promise. So you will be better served just spraying the white wet on wet with the primer, in this situation and IMO :)

#13 ·
Extremely high priority to CLEAN the surface extremely well before sanding at all. Use a good automotive cleaner degreaser you get from the auto paint store. When painting, spray a thin tack coat then shortly thereafter spray a full wet coat. This helps prevent runs.

#14 ·
Well, the name on the can is nice, but as any color can vary by vendor. Beware and do a test patch before you go wild and spray it all.

Odds are they will not match as if you compare 4 differnt vendors "color x" paint side-by-side its a good bet they will not match...

#20 ·
i bought some duplicolor and I am trying on a little spot that had a chip that annoyed me. I will post some pics when I get it done. If it matches closely I will try my hand at some other areas. Watched a bunch of 3M and different vids last night.

thanks everyone...

results to follow

#24 ·
Some auto paint stores have the ability to fill spray cans in the store. You can have the same paint that a body shop would
use but in a rattle can. Cost is about 20.00 a can but goes a long way compaired to regular rattle can paints. O Riley can do it in my area using DuPont paints.

#25 ·
so i picked up a can of duplicolor and it appears that is doesn't match. Honestly i would think the car color is the one that is off. I will try a couple different options that you all recommended and see if those colors are closer....glad there is always plan b...c....d guess that is the fun of this

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.