Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Improving pedal grip?

3K views 36 replies 28 participants last post by  PetesPonies 
#1 ·
Hi all,

The pedals on my car get really slippery when wet and my foot tends to slide off of them unless I strategize it just right. Not so much an issue for the gas pedal, but I'd prefer not to have my feet slipping off of the clutch and the brakes when I'm trying to use them! Is there anything that can be done to improve the "grippiness" of the pedal pads on the original pedals?

Mine aren't worn at all that I can see so I think they must just be slippery. Would roughing that surface up a bit with sandpaper help at all? Or crosshatching it?

#4 ·
Have you seen these?
http://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake-clutch-pedal-cover-billet-1965-1968/p/PCS36/
These are kind of textured like cheese graters and are surprisingly effective. Versus the boy-racer WRX type ones which are just bits of shiny stupid and add nothing to the driving experience. These actually give you traction. You will not want to be driving barefoot. The screws attach to movable metal tabs on the back. They flip around behind the pedal and you tighten the screws little by little all around until the cover is clamped down securely. Easy enough to remove and go right back to looking stock. Installing them is kind of fiddly, plus you have to crawl in the floor so they're not really something you want to swapping around much.
Try just one and see if it suits you. You might find something to try in the bling aisle of your local parts store just to check out the concept. Most of those are likely ill-fitting and ineffective though.
Note I don't have those specific pedal pads but I have driven a sporty car equipped with very similar ones and I LIKED it. Had forgotten about that until this thread actually. Hmmm. Wonder how well black paint or powder coat would work? I like a more subtle look.

#9 ·
Any oil /grease on your shoes will make them slip. Take a note out of the downhill MTB pedal book and put a bunch of pointed bolts in your pedals to guarantee a perfect grip every time.
If you don't want to drill your pedals full of holes, the only option is to get a bolt-on cover. No matter how sticky the rubber is on your pedal, if your shoes are wet/oily you will slip.

#10 ·
Well, you could add some grip to the surface of the rubber pads.

A thin coating of epoxy on CLEANED rubber pads, then sprinkle some dry silica sand over the glue and let it cure. Permanent grip. Wet or dry

#11 ·
Buy one of these off road bike tires, cut to length, glue to pedal... done...

:smile2:

#16 ·
Lots of interesting ideas here! Some better than others... :pirate:

Gypsy - No, I hadn't seen those! Could be an interesting concept if they were powdercoated a nice satin black, I think. I wouldn't put them in Jane as-is just because of the looks (not a fan of the whole billet thing on my car) but if they were toned down a bit I think they'd look pretty good.

Nope, never have put ArmorAll on them... I put ArmorAll on NOTHING because it makes interior surfaces feel absolutely disgusting!

Maybe next time I see a vintage Mustang I'll sneakily feel up its pedal pads to find out if mine are just old and junk :lol:

#18 ·
Remove the pad and use some of the adhesive tape with sand on it. The stuff they put on diving boards. I have seen rolls of it at home depot.

I used that on some pedals I made for a dune buggy. Worked great, no slip and the stuff did not come off the pedals in the 5 years I drove it.

#19 ·
Any non skid is simply substrate with grit mixed.
For practicality, there are a few products at your local hardware store that will do a creditable job and still look good.

For ease, just mix up some epoxy out of an off the shelf fiberglass kit, paint in on the raised/flat portions of your pedal pads with an artist brush, and sprinkle on a grit. Dried silica sand is best, but in the boating world, beach sand, sugar, and even salt is used as the grit. I use plain bricklayers sand that I dry in the oven for 20 minutes, on windsurfing boards, after repairs, to get a grip finish on the decks and rails.

Scuff the pads with 80-120 paper, clean the off with Wax and Grease remover, and go for it.

Cheap and easy, and nothing special to buy or order.. it helps if you have the pads flat for curing, but not essential if your epoxy is stiff enough when you apply it.

#21 · (Edited)
GypsyR is right about these pedals. http://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-dra...-1968/p/PCS36/
Your foot won't slip off of these and I wouldn't drive barefoot with these installed. I didn't like the all aluminum look when I got them. I knew after using them awhile dirt would build up in the low spots of the pedal so I shot flat black paint on them and wiped them of with a rag wet down with lacquer thinner. I guaranty your foot won't slide off of these.

Attachments

#25 ·
gorilla glue some slippers onto each pedal and just slip out your foot from slipper to the next.

now -thats- a unique mod

#26 ·
The first thing I do when I get in my Mustang is the same as when I used to fly my home built - - - take my shoes off, great pedal feel with no slippage.
Makes me feel more of a part of the machine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.