Vintage Mustang Forums banner

MC for 4-wheel Manual Disc

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Mutang 
#1 ·
Anyone know if the manual brake '86-'88 Ranger MC has a residual valve built-in for the rear drums? If not, it seems like it'd be an alternative to the recommended Raybestos 36440 (I've never had much luck pulling out residual valves and getting the seat back in…).

I'm using Granada-size front calipers and Eldorado rears so I think a 15/16" bore is plenty.

Thanks…Funnel

#2 ·
Granada calipers in front and Eldorado calipers in the rear..... with 15/16" bore?
I didn't even do the math and I'm thinking 1" bore for a master cylinder.
What size are the rear caliper pistons? The photos I see online show a honking
huge piston.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

#6 · (Edited)
Sorry, basement flooded a bit...looks like main drain (again)...sigh...this time came perilously close to my lot-of-azz-work 9" rear that's (thankfully) sitting on jack stands. So I'm a wee short of patience.

Front piston is 2.625" (66.675mm - typical Granada right?) and rear piston is 2.050" (52.07mm).

For those of you saying 1-1/8" bore MC...have you ever actually driven a manual brake vehicle with a MC bore that size (much less with 4-wheel disc)? Not being facetious, I'm genuinely curious.

I did a lot of reading and 15/16-1" seems to be max...I don't lack for leg strength (now anyway - getting older everyday) but I've seen very few accounts of 4-wheel disc with a MC bore over 1". Having driven a Fox 'Stang w/ manual conversion and (I think) SVO MC...it was...interesting...

A couple of other things...I don't really want a MC that lacks the piston groove to lock the pushrod in. My current, manual brake pedal has the rubber stop, but that isn't enough (for me). Second, I don't really care about which side the ports are on; bending the brake lines around isn't a big deal.

I've got several MC's on deck. Interesting that the bit about no power MC's having the lock groove is false. I've got a new Coni (Comi?)-Seal MC for an '85 Town Car that doesn't just have the lock groove, a spare clip for the rod is in the box! Also have a reman'd unit that has no groove (but is aluminum!). Finally, I have the Raybestos 36440 and a 90's Ranger part (which between being cast iron, no lock groove, and a really angled tank) is kind of out of contention.

I was hoping for an aluminum job that'd work but I'm pretty much down to the 36440 or Comi-Seal '85 Lincoln part. If the consensus is 15/16 is fine, I'll probably order the '86-88 manual Ranger MC and check for a residual valve. If 1" is the mark, I'll use the Comi-Seal and make the requisite brake lines.

BTW - The 36440 came up because a consistent theme with all but HUGE-azz manual discs seems to be 15/16 bore MC with 2lb. residual valve for the rear (also, no proportioning valve using this config). I bought a steering box from a guy using the above combo...added the 2lb. residual valve to stop some mild chatter, and all good.

Thanks...Funnel

#8 ·
I don't really want a MC that lacks the piston groove to lock the pushrod in. My current, manual brake pedal has the rubber stop, but that isn't enough (for me).

Does anyone have a picture of what the stop on the brake pedal looks like? I have to figure out if mine has one but I am not near the car.

#7 ·
1" is my pick. You'll be good with the pedal stroke and ok with the pedal pressure.
If your name is Schwarzenegger and you like a leg workout, use the 1 1/8" master.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

Reactions: SWPruett
#13 ·
I've got the 1" aluminum one from Cobra Automotive....... wherever it comes from. (I've heard various
stories and the number cast/stamped in it connects up with something JEEP)
I've got their adjustable push rod too on my '68. I don't think you can shorten it up enough for it to
be a problem, so having it "drop out" is not an issue.
BTW- The only time I ever saw that happen was with an owner-fabricated brake pedal (no pedal stop).
It pinned a guy up against the slow side of pit wall at Willow Springs.... two broken legs and unknown
legal ramifications....

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

#14 ·
I've got a 72 Challenger that I installed 4 wheel disc brakes on. I put in a manual 15/16" MC. Love the feel of this setup, firm pedal with just the right amount of travel.

So I wanted to do the same for my 69 Mustang. I ended up getting a 94-95 Mustang Cobra MC also with a 15/16" bore, 2003 Cobra calipers all around. Its installed, but I'm far from driving it yet.

GT289 has a lot more experience with these kinds of setups, so I would be inclined to listen to him. I've forgotten all of the details of caliper piston size on the Challenger setup to make comparisons a little easier. I suspect you'll be OK either way, like you I researched this a lot and everything I had read recommended 15/16" - 1" bore MCs for manual setups.

#15 ·
I run a Strange Engineering 15/16th on my 64 Fairlane. It has SSBC disc in the front and Wilwood out back. Stops the car with no issues. nice firm pedal feel.

Pete

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.