Vintage Mustang Forums banner

What's my sway bar size?

19K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  drew-dst 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a pretty stock '66 convertible with a 200 six cylinder and C4 transmission. Does anyone know the stock sway bar diameter so I can order new rubber bushings? RockAuto website shows different bar diameters.

I'm rebuilding my stock front end with full upper and lower control arms, strut rod rubber bushings, and poly bushings in the spring seats.

Is there a spring seat for the top of the springs I need to order?

I'm trying to keep things cheaper, and original to maintain the "sofa" driving experience.

#3 ·
https://www.nookandtranny.com/HT_SwayBar.html

I think this is the accepted method of figuring out what you have. Pretty much put a wrench over it and see what "fits" or use a tool to measure.

Or are you asking what size your car came with, not what you have?

#13 ·
#4 ·
Ah...duh...Why didn't I think of that!

Is there a spring seat for the top of the springs I need to order?

Would the $15 poly bushings for the springs seats do me any good?

#5 ·
oh dang. I did it old school. a string pencil paper value of pi and the answer

#6 ·
Actually at first I was trying to remember that formula then thought there has to be an easier way! Was going to simply take a tape measure to the end of the bar til I saw that its flattened at the ends!

#12 ·
#18 ·
Export brace is differnt to the stock firewall to shock tower braces.

If you get an export brace be sure to get the thicker OEM style, many cheaper repros are far, far weaker..

https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/mustang_export_brace_black_oe_style_deep-102509-2912.html

If you add the export brace you really don't need the Monte Carlo bar on a mild street car...

Combine the export brace with a bigger sway bar, (7/8 is good for a 6, 1" is really big and helps on FEs, but is overkill for a 6) ensure your springs are in good shape, and add some street valved Bilsteins and you won't recognize the car.

Reactions: 66conv6
#19 ·
Thanks on the quality of the export brace. Do I replace the factory one or put this on top?

How do I know if my springs are in good shape? I assumed they are. Front and rear. Just gathering information here whilst I have the suspension apart.

What does "FE" mean?

#22 ·
not true. My landlord , Dan Williams , and a couple of other friends worked for ford back in the day. My landlord if an FE expert and collects 427 engines. They all told me long that the FE line was named FE because its a heavy chunk of iron. They also said that people have assumed it stands for ford edsel. everyone that i have met that said it stood for ford edsel never worked for ford and said thats what they heard. the 3.85 ford engine family name comes form the 3.85" stroke of the 460. i have heard that 3.85 means the engine was born on march 8th 1965 but thats not correct either. FE > the symbol of iron. btw i know wiki says ford edsel but not everything on wiki is correct and anyone can add or submit stuff to wiki including me.

#25 ·
Seem numerous stories about the origin of the term.

But if you own one and want to restore it to factory it means F^&*%ing Expensive!!! :wink:

As for the fit, I'm not familiar with the 65-66s but I think they have welded brace ends on the shock towers which can be left in place and the export brace applied with then left on (they look kinda funny IIRC). I guess one could use both, but have never tried it.

On the 67-68s the flimsy OEM braces bolt under the shock tower cap and come out before installing the EB.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.