Vintage Mustang Forums banner

C4 Shift shaft seal replacement errors

9K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Pony Gaz 
#1 ·
Okay, my 66 conv six cylinder with the C4 would sit in storage for a year at a time. I take it out for a few days when I'm in town and I always have to add a few quarts of trans fluid as there's fluid on the ground seemingly from the shift shaft seal.

1 Replacing the seal; does the lip go towards the inside?

2 When I replaced the filter is there an anti drain-back spring I'm supposed to see somewhere?

3 The outside shift linkage is above the shaft and my Ford shop manual and Haynes trans manual seem to show it below the shaft. Trans was rebuilt in 1995. Did the rebuilder mess up? It has been 20 years/80,000miles.

4 The kickdown linkage bracket(bar) is supposed to be above or below the shaft? I think mine are reversed.

5 I've been using Type F all these years which is now quite expensive at $6-9 quart. Am I to understand I could have and can still use Dexron III?

I haven't put the fluid pan back on yet (I'll flatten the dimples etc.) or added the expensive fluid till I sort out the above questions.

On the plus side the car has shifted nice and firm which I like and has occasionally chirped the stock (radial) tires going from first to second and once in a blue moon will give a barely audible or even inaudible chirp from second to third.

See less See more
#2 ·
1. Yes the lip faces the transmission

2. The TQ drain-back valve & spring sits under the filter on 70 & up C4. 64 - 69 does not have this under the filter.

3. The shift lever is above the shift shaft on floor shift cars & below the shaft on column shift.

4. KD lever is also above the shift shaft.

5. GypsyR can enlighten you on this. I have been running Dexron 3 in my C4 for 8 years since the rebuild with no problems.
Cheers. Gaz

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks Pony! I'm not working on the car for another five days so maybe GypsyR will chime in. Most posts on Type F seemed somewhat dated.

Hey, I bolted the valve body back in carefully and it seated. Am I to assume the shifter shaft linkages inside the trans are engaged properly? I have them pointed down and a bit off the bottom like saw when I pulled the valve body. I've been trying to look with a flashlight and can't really see anything.

#4 ·
It's easy to miss the manual valve recess with the shift lever when refitting the valve body. Also the kick-down lever must sit behind the throttle valve or you will have no downshift. Hang on! I think I have a photo somewhere.

Here you go!

The kick- down lever will be spring loaded thru the throttle valve if the VB is fitted correctly.

Cheers. Gaz

#6 ·
Ok so I did in fact install the valve body correctly. I reinstalled the pan with a new filter and Voila! The leak stopped from the shift shaft seal!! Five quarts of type F and all is good. Rebuilding the front suspension now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.