Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Textured inner door panel rust

5K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  Lizer 
#1 ·
I was assessing the rust damage on my 67' after work today and noticed that the textured steel inner door panel area on both door (where your arm would rest while the window is down) has enough rust that I don't think there will be any texture left after the rust is removed. I assume the paint was worn down from use so it was exposed to the elements (convertible with no top parked for 35 years) Is this part of the door structure or is it a bolt on item? The rest of the door is essentially rust free. I didn't see anything in my CJ parts book for this issue.

#4 ·
it's on all 65-68 doors

#5 ·
Had the same problem, not with rust, but dents. After I pulled and filled the dents I rolled on (yes with a small paint roller) single stage paint. It left a reasonable facsimile of the original texture. I had to do a few trial runs with varying paint thicknesses, dry times and techniques, but the end result was acceptable.

#6 ·
The sheet steel it textured from the mill. The stretch/formed areas have less texture mecause the metal is stretched. Don't sand the surface to take paint and or rust off. Media blast or paint remover and brush. If not rusted through there should still be some texture.

#8 ·
I assume you mean that and will help form it on the contours.

G
#10 ·
I have done the camera finish in small areas with epoxy primer and vinyl texture sheets. You let the epoxy set until it is almost cured, then press the vinyl texture into the epoxy. The resulting finish is pretty hard to tell the difference from OEM.

#12 ·
#16 ·
Hit that with a wirewheel and then clean up with some phosphoric acid to remove the remaining rust and see just how bad it is. It might be tolerable. Avoid getting a new door if you can.

#18 ·
Bolts right on correct? Point is, not to be a smart *** but it's worth really trying to save the original door that you know fits.

#17 ·
As lizer said, cover those areas with paint stripper, then use a wire brush or wire wheel, and see how it turns out first. You may be pleasantly surprised. I did that with rear inner quarter panels and was able to save them. Yes, the panels looked like your doors at first.

#20 ·
I'd rather have no texture on the inside of doors that actually fit the car,,than deal with the repo shells .

The advice others gave will work.If you have any texture left spray the paint on in light coats.Or do what Pete suggested with the vinyl pattern,I've done this when done correctly it's virtually undetectable.

#22 ·
Both of the doors on this car have factory paint (other than the effected area) and are very straight. I would rather loose some texture vs finding and fitting another factory door. I think I am going to use the evaporust (with paper towels and plastic) that was recommended on the forum and see how it turns out. It's been great so far on all of the brake parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.