Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Dose anybody make authentic reproduction radiators with open fins. (:

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Woodchuck 
#1 ·
I don't like modern radiators with tinny fins because they don't work well with original low pressure fans and shroud less system. I want to buy the biggest and best original brass, or reproduction brass 4 row radiator.

I only want brass, I don't want aluminum because it is not period correct.

I see Scot Drake has one Scott Drake Replacement Radiators 379-4 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing but I fear it will not be authentic and will restrict air too much with micro fins.

PS. this is for a 6 cylinder car.

1. What were original radiator fins like?

2. Who makes a 4 row like original?

3. Are NOS radiators available?

#2 ·
1. "like"?? typical "zig/zag metal fins.
2. Don't think 4 rows were original, most were 2 or 3
3. 1969 1970 Ford Maverick Mustang 170 200 6CYL Radiator C9ZZ 8005 A New Vintag | eBay (fits a 67/68 6 cylinder, you don't mention year)

More familiar with 67-68 V8s and the OEMs were in the neighbourhood of 12-16 fins per inch (I think, 14 rings a bell, but don't have a reference handy) for a 6, as a 1 1/4" thick core, 2 row would seem likely...

Your link is to a big block radiator, way oversized for a 6.

#7 ·
1. "like"?? typical "zig/zag metal fins.
Yes, I think wide zig zag fins were normal in the 60's.
The car had a 2 row that I replaced with a Summit 3 row.

The old 2 row had solid metal well spaced fins I think,, But my new 3 row has tightly spaced perforated fins which I think is reducing some air flow. I think the new design is better suited for modern fans that produce more air pressure on the radiator.
I Don't think 4 rows were original, most were 2 or 3
Could be, My glove box manual says a 4 row desert cool radiator was an option. I am adding AC and I think I want the 4 row. i want to stay close to stock options and I don't want to add an electric fan,
MAVERICK-MUSTANG-170-200-6CYL-RADIATOR-C9ZZ-8005-A-NEW-VINTAG-/151956834079?hash=item236155471f:g:7V0AAOSwyQtVwW79]1969 1970 Ford Maverick Mustang 170 200 6CYL Radiator C9ZZ 8005 A New Vintag | eBay[/url] (fits a 67/68 6 cylinder, you don't mention year)
Wow that is great! It looks thick. Do you think it will fit on a 1965 6 cylinder? ? ?

#5 ·
I usually have them made by a local shop that's been in business since the 1920's or so.

#6 ·
Original 6 cylinder extra cooling radiator for '65-66 had a core 1.27" deep (two row), 16.44" high, 17.24" wide with 15 fins per inch. It ran a 15.5" x 1.4" fan. You might try Spectra Premium. I've always had good luck with them and they're copper/brass and made in North America (or at least WERE, in Quebec, Canada).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.