Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Help

864 views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  B-rad 
#1 ·
Need some help, I just replaced the older 351w engine in my 68 mustang with a 351w engine out of a 96 Ford Ecoline Van, removed EFI, smog crap and added my intake and carb along with my valve covers and oil pan. That's all I changed, started it last night for the first time and it makes a sharp metal to metal hammering sound. Any ideas? I thought at first it was my exhaust manifold collector rings, but bolted manifolds back to the exhaust this morning and still making this sound.

G
#2 · (Edited)
When you changed the oil pan did you change the pickup tube as well? And dealt with the main cap stud difference? That also is a roller cam engine, did you install a non computer distributor with a steel gear to go with the steel roller cam in the block?

#3 ·
I did use my old internal plumbing for the oil pump/pickup since my sump is towards the front of my engine and the 96 van motor was a rear sump. I used my same Mallory distributor. I do have the 96 van distributor, assumed they had the same teeth/gears?

#5 ·
Another problem is this van motors dipstick is in the block towards the back of the engine (under #7 cylinder)but my old engine had the dipstick in timing chain cover which is in the front of the engine (oil pan sump is in the front) so I don't have a dipstick right now until I switch out the timing chain covers) I thought this would be a quick switch but isn't turning out to be one.

#10 ·
Years ago with a 327 first start we had the same noise. Crap! We shut her down and oil was pouring out the bottom. We had inadvertently left a screw driver on the bottom end when we bolted on the pan. The only damage was the screwdriver sticking out the side of the pan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.