Vintage Mustang Forums banner

any tips on how to recover front seats 70mustang highbacks

961 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  bullit 
#1 ·
any tips on how to recover front seats 70 mustang highbacks

#2 ·
I just recovered the 70 Mach1 seats that I'm putting in my 65. I used the TMI Sport covers so I had to replace the foam also. The TMI foam had some kind of vinyl mesh molded into the back side so I didn't need any burlap with all of the wires woven in it. I watched a lot of youtube and CJPony videos but there were none specific to the 70 seats.

#3 ·
1. To get the top covers pulled down over the foam a little easier, spray the foam with silicone lubricant. It will let the cover slip down and will be easier to work down, get it tight and get the wrinkles out.

2. The hardest thing that I found was to get the hog rings around the listing wires, which pull your seat seams in. I would locate where I wanted the ring and cinch the listing wire tight to the spring that I was fastening to with a nylon cable tie first. Then I would hog ring right next to the cable tie, then cut & remove the cable tie. Also, replace any rusty/thin/weak listing wires with new ones, I cut them out of steel wire coat hangers.

3. Most importantly, Make sure that the seat covers are warm and pliable. I did all of mine on my living room floor one winter, using a hair dryer to work out any wrinkles or tight spots.

#4 ·
There are a lot of little things that will take too long to list in full. Here is a link to a post I started a few years ago - reupholstery of 69 highback Mach 1 seats with TMI foams and vinyl. Maybe long winded but hopefully some help for you too.

Hardest part of the whole job is hogging the seat backs neatly. The listing wires are very difficult to access and you will be playing catch 22 trying to pull the overs down and hog the wires. (This will make more sense when you are at that stage ) My solution was to change the one long wire (each side) for two shorter wires. Other solutions might work for you better.
Bend over all wires you use or make for listing. they will pierce the vinyl.
Heat up your vinyl or it will be hard and make the job difficult - maybe even bust the stitching. I sat them over a floor heating outlet for one job, and left them in the warm sun for the next - 2-3 hours so they are soft and flexible. Hair dryer during fitting.
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/v...3929-tmi-distinctive-upholstery-69-mach1.html

Best of luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.