Vintage Mustang Forums banner

65 FB Quarter Install Question

607 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  PetesPonies 
#1 ·
Getting closer to being ready to start installing new quarters on the fastback. I had a heck of a time removing the top sections of the old quarters where they fit under the roof and knew then that was going to be an issue. It is really looking like I can slide it under there or under the panel above the deck lid but not both. How does everyone handle that? Cut a bunch of spot welds where you can lift the roof line high enough? Weld it on top instead of the bottom?

Of course, if I find any more pinholes in the decklid panel I may just order a new one and solve the problem.

#2 ·
By far the easiest thing to do is buy a new roof and replace it. The roof is/was the last portion to be attached to the car, you are fighting the car if you do it any other way.
Having said that, you can also cut the upper area of the repop qtr panel so it butts up against the cut line made against the roof and butt weld it on.

#5 ·
All the lead and spotwelds are gone...it just looks like I may have to remove a few more to give enough slack. I wasn't make a serious effort, but I could get either the top section under the roof in but then couldn't get the mid section under the rear panel, or I could get it in under the rear panel and then the top section wouldn't go under the roof.
It may just take a little more effort than I was putting into it.

#8 ·
Well, to give an update, I decided to replace panel below back glass. Glad I did, I pulled it and rust was worse than I thought in the lower section of the panel. I was going to take some of my patch metal....curved with some compound bends. Suddenly it occurred to me that the old panel had the right curve and formed lip. Turned it upside down and cut out a rough pattern. About an 1 1/5 hours of hammer and dolly work and metal bending and cutoff wheel and I had it made. Going to have to sandblast, treat with Picklex20, cut out the old and weld in.
Yep, I know the real body men will cringe, but......

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.