Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Backing Plates

7K views 23 replies 4 participants last post by  Mac74 
#1 ·
Can anyone identify these backing plates? They came with a ’57 – ’59 small bearing Ford 9-in. I believe they’re for 11” x 1.750 brakes but I’m not sure. I’m researched them for a couple of days but haven’t been able to find anything. Need to get drums, brakes and hardware for them to finish up this 9inch but I hate to buy something that doesn’t work.
Bendix 305489-L
Bendix 305490-R
And both are stamped FoMoCo

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
I just bought a set of 11x2.25 drum brakes for a 57 ford from quick performance. The set comes with backing plates that will work for the OP. You just need to confirm the housing flange bolt pattern, the brake register size and the back space. The backing plates are fully loaded with springs, cylinders and shoes and the set also come with drums. Bolt it on bleed it and done. The set was $300. You can spend that much on a set of drums for these old rear ends.

#7 ·
Thanks for the responses. Looks like I will be contacting Quick Performance. 67t5ponycoupe, was that for the small bearing setup? Either way, $300 isn't bad, I was just curious.

I hate having that plates and not being able to use them though.

#10 ·
I went with Johns 9-Inch and picked up some brake drum kits for my small bearing 9-inch. (10 x 2.500) They were a little cheaper than quick performance. I'm going to keep looking for drums to match my old backing plates because they're practically brand new.

So, I've moved on from the brake portion of rebuilding my 9-inch, now I'm about to rebuild the trac-loc unit and looking for some 31-splines. But if anyone can identify what drums I need for these backing plates, I would really appreciate it. I may be able to sell them.

Bendix 305489-L Bendix 305490-R (They're stamped FoMoCo)

Attachments

#13 ·
Quick performance said they didnt have the setup for a small bearing 9-in. They did have the Torino style and they were able to modify the plates to fit a small bearing for a extra $100. So out the door, they would have been around $475.

The setup I got from Johns was for a small bearing rearend and I got them for $450 out the door.

G
#14 ·
2 1/2" x 10 brakes from an Aerostar or Ranger ( make sure the Ranger is not 9" ) is an easy and cheap swap. The drums are available new from parts stores. If you ask for an Aerostar drum, you will get a finned drum too. Backing plates are for sale on ebay and such. I have picked up a pair for $80. New drums and shoes, hardware as well, along with backing plates and you are well under $300. 2 1/2" x 10 was what the early Shelbys used.

#17 ·
Brakes

Well, my 9-in. saga continues. I went out to my shop this morning to do a little work on the rear end. I put the backing plate to the housing and it bolted up with no problem. I tried sliding the old 28 spline axles in just to see if they would fit and no go!! The hole in the backing plate was a hair too small. I'm hoping maybe it's just the thick coat of paint but I want to call John's 9-in. before I start filing on them.

The second problem I have is the hole in the drum is larger than the lip on the center of the axle. So I believe they sent me a big bearing drum with a small bearing backing plate. So it looks like I'm at a stand still again.

When I ordered the drum kits, I told them I was going up to a 31 spline axle, but from my understanding, the outer diameter of the bearings would be the same for the 28 and 31 spline, so the old axles should still fit into the backing plates.

#18 ·
If it is that close I would just clearance the backing plate so the bearing will slide in. For the drum, if you talk to the seller they may just send you the right drums and have you ship the old ones back. The other way to go is they make spacers that will take up the distance and they are pretty cheap. You could go that route. My brakes from QP went the other way, the hole in the drum was too small. They were supposed to machine the axles prior to shipping and they did not. (I also bought axles from them). They made it right by having me ship the drums back and having them machined.

#19 ·
The hole in your drums is typically unrelated to the bearing size of the axle. It simply is the appropriate size to what the axle register used was in the OEM application. Ford used around 7 different register sizes. When doing brake "conversions" it is usually acceptable to have a spacer ring machined to fit the axle to properly center the drum. The axle hub might need machining to properly locate such a spacer.

#20 ·
Was just talking with a buddy of mine and he is about to start working on a small bearing ford 9-in. also. I told him the hassle I went through looking for brakes, but I told him about the Ranger/Aerostar option. But just wanted to make sure I told him the right thing. So, if he can get a set of brakes off a Ford Ranger or Aerostar, they should bolt straight up to his 9-in. as long as the Ranger is'nt a 9-in. correct?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.