Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Rear Floor Cross Member - Straight on '66?

691 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  67t5ponycoupe 
#1 ·
Getting closer to installing my tail light panel and got to looking at the rear cross member. Should this be straight? I have a new one for another 66 that I am comparing to the one on the GT. I'm thinking it should be straight judging from the new panel and cross member.

Thanks,

Allen

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I know for a fact that neither the tail light panel or bumper are straight on 65-66. I would assume the cross member is also curved.

#4 ·
No thoughts or opinions needed. Look at your photo which shows the curved original. PB is absolutely correct. Welcome to the world of mis-formed Taiwan replacement panels. Rick @ NPD seems to have influence over the repop manufacturers. Maybe he can pressure them into making correct parts.

#7 ·
I thought the same thing- maybe the crossmember and lower part of the taillight panel would be straight since they're hidden behind the bumper. So inside the trunk I measured from the 90* roll on the crossmember to the taillight panel and the measurement is 1-3/8" at the ends and slightly over 1" on each side of the brace that the gas filler passes through. The crossmember is definitely curved.

#10 ·
the trunk lid , tail light panel , and bumper are curved inward on all 65-66 mustangs. i'm not sure what kind of illusion it was suppose to produce. the front of the mustang is curved outward. maybe they wanted a slight arrow design illusion. its called styling like the way the Shelby over the car stripes not the same width front to rear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.