Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Help with top hose an thermostat housings

6K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  66HertzClone 
#1 ·
Hi all, need a bit of help with my 66 mustang that is modified.

I am not new to working on cars but being in the UK I have not worked on a mustang before, and don't get to see many.

I am wondering why my top hose has been made from two joined up parts?

I think it maybe the fact that it has a different thermostat housing on it due to the March front end kit?

Can you get the correct hose in one piece
Any advice would be appreciated

See less See more
#9 ·
Thanks for that

Not entirely sure, but it might have something to do with your alternator mount. It appears custom, and higher than normal. Here is my 68 set up. good luck.
The mount is a March front end kit and that is where they put the alternator, i have looked at there fitting info and it has bee fitted correct.

It is that way because of the way your alternator is mounted, much higher and the angled hose shown in one of the 68 Mustang is what the one on my 66 looks like. You might consider making that connection serve a purpose, get one of these.

Gano Auto Coolant Filter Company

http://www.ganofilters.com/assets/gano_clear.jpg
Will take a look at them filters, thanks

I'm betting there's a Gano filter in that joint. As someone already posted you can get the hose in one piece, but I'm thinking there's a (Gano filter) coolant filter in place. I'm running a similar set-up on my 1965 289 car and just modified the original 65 289 hose to fit. I'll try an post a picture. On the 65-66 Mustangs the alternator is originally mounted flipped down from what you have. Your running a newer 5.0 style thermostat housing which requires the modified hose. Hope this helps
Here's the only picture I could find right now. You can see the original 65 Mustang upper hose mold modified to work with the new style water outlet and alternator mounting.
Thanks for posting the photos, i will take the hose apart and see it there is a filter in there.

The engine in your 66 Mustang looks like a 5.0L from a late 80s Mustang and that is the basic routing on the upper hose on those engines - although they are made in one piece per the link above.

Paul
The engine is a 302 stroked out to 331, so i take it that is the later 5.0 302 engine ? Like i said i am learning all the time about these cars but we did not have them over here so it is like starting over for me.

#6 ·
I'm betting there's a Gano filter in that joint. As someone already posted you can get the hose in one piece, but I'm thinking there's a (Gano filter) coolant filter in place. I'm running a similar set-up on my 1965 289 car and just modified the original 65 289 hose to fit. I'll try an post a picture. On the 65-66 Mustangs the alternator is originally mounted flipped down from what you have. Your running a newer 5.0 style thermostat housing which requires the modified hose. Hope this helps

#8 ·
The engine in your 66 Mustang looks like a 5.0L from a late 80s Mustang and that is the basic routing on the upper hose on those engines - although they are made in one piece per the link above.

Paul

#10 ·
Got another question, the car came with the heater hoses removed. I have brought a classic auto air until to fit and just looking at where to refit the hoses.

I can see one outlet blanked off on the pump, the other looks to be taken up by a gauge temp sender in the inlet manifold, can someone confirm this looking at the photos.

At the rear of the inlet manifold is this plug, I have yet to remove it, anyone know if coolant is under it ? Hopefully I can relocate the temp sender to here.

#11 · (Edited)
Got another question, the car came with the heater hoses removed. I have brought a classic auto air until to fit and just looking at where to refit the hoses.

I can see one outlet blanked off on the pump, the other looks to be taken up by a gauge temp sender in the inlet manifold, can someone confirm this looking at the photos.

Paul

The 'blanked off outlet' on the 'pump' is actually a non-used port on the water outlet neck (not pump) that is threaded and used to mount a sender/sensor in some applications. On your water neck it is not drilled/threaded:

Where you have a sender/sensor on your intake there is usually a straight or right angle water outlet hose fitting that the hose to the heater core goes on (right angle in this example). You can also see a threaded port in the water neck on this engine:

Hope this helps
Cheers!
Paul (near Boston USA)

#14 ·
I believe it is a pro comp Typhoon Intake Manifold and yes it does have a port on the drivers side, it has a blank in there so I will remove it and most likely fit the sender for the temp gauge into that one

#15 ·

Attachments

#16 ·
Update, took the thermostat housing off and gave it a bead blast.

There is no thread in it, it is just blanked off.
So I set it up in the milling machine and milled the area flat.

Then drilled and taped it to M14x1.50 read to accept the new temp switch.

#17 ·
Nice work, that should work well for you. Be careful putting that back together, there should be a recess that the stat rests in, then the gasket and then against the manifold. I worked in an auto parts store many years ago and sold many people a new housing after they had the stat slip out of the groove when putting it together. A few dabs of silicone will hold it in place and make assembly painless. But looking at your tools I''m sure you are already aware of this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.