Vintage Mustang Forums banner

what does the package tray look like on 69 mach 1?

4K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  1969sag 
#1 ·
On my mach 1 I have what looks to be charcoal/black color smooth cardboard as a package tray. I don't know if this is an original or not. Did Ford really use such cheap looking package trays? would be great if someone could upload a photo of the material

#7 · (Edited)
Back in the early 1980s I owned a 1970 fastback and it had a piece of cardboard covering the package tray. I now own a 1970 Mach 1 and it too had a piece of cardboard covering the package tray. Well, more accurately, there were "trace elements" of what was once a piece of cardboard.

Remember, the Mustang was an economy car. Sure, you could opt for a high performance example in a GT, Boss, Mach 1 or Shelby. And you could get a luxury example in a Grande'. But it's still an economy car with extra gingerbread. So, yeah, the package trays were covered with a piece of cardboard.

Here's a link to a reproduction from NPD. It's made of "pressboard" which is likely superior to the original.

https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/trim_panel_package_tray_repro-141702-1.html

#16 ·
Weird!
I always thought those were supposed to be a cardboard/fiber board material.
My car came with one that is made out of fiber glass.
It looks exactly like the picture posted above, but mine is made out of a sheet of 3/16 to 1/4 inch thick fiber glass.
I like mine better. LOL.
I wonder where mine came from?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.