Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Rear axle seal

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Josep 
#1 ·
I need to know the name for this part to order. Some leakage there and think is the seal. Thanks

Josep

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
The pic is of a pinion seal, not an axle seal? You'll want a new seal and most likely a crush sleeve as well. You won't need to remove the axles to do the repair, so axle seals aren't needed.

#5 ·
This morning when I posted my response there was no "Attached Thumbnail" connected to your post. Now this evening the A.T. is there and it's definitely the pinion seal. You will need a big socket (1-1/16") to remove the pinion nut so that you can get the pinion yoke off to replace the seal.

I have been having a lot of problems with this website lately. I think the problems are related to this thread:
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/v.../970289-page-script-hanging-unresponsive.html

#6 · (Edited)
Pinion seal, OK.

Alan, do you say I will also need some paper gaskets for it.?

Could be this one from Virginia Classic Mustang the part needed.?
Think it should be almost the same as the one on the right for th V8 model. They call different name but part looks like the same as the one you mentioned from O'Reilly's (same part number!).

Josep

Attachments

#7 ·
OK, this is a bit confusing for me as I found in O'Reilly's website two choices.
One is Differential pinion seal and the other one is Oil seal see attached pic.
So, which one is the right one..? Thanks.!

Josep

Attachments

#8 ·
Ops.! O'Reilly's not shipping overseas...

#9 ·
Is this one from NPD the correct one..? Thanks guys.!

Josep

Attachments

#10 ·
NPD shows two options for the pinion seal on a '66 Mustang 6 cylinder rear end. This is the rear end with 4 lug bolts and a stamped steel cover on the rear of the differential:

https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/seal_axle_front_pinion_bearing_c2oz_4676_b-149312-1.html

and

https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/seal_axle_front_pinion_bearing-149314-1.html

Notice that the difference between the two seals is dependent upon the size of the u-joints.

The pinion seal goes in the front of the differential where the driveshaft connects. The O'Reilly oil seal I first posted goes inside the end of each axle tube and replacing that seal also requires the two paper gaskets. Replacing the pinion seal does not require any paper gaskets.

#11 ·
The pinion seal goes in the front of the differential where the driveshaft connects. The O'Reilly oil seal I first posted goes inside the end of each axle tube and replacing that seal also requires the two paper gaskets. Replacing the pinion seal does not require any paper gaskets.
So, the NPD seal doesn't works for me you say right..?
If the O'Reilly's seal is the one, then will have to look for another vendor as they do not ship overseas. But I'm still not sure of what seal do I need.! Do you know any place that ships overseas and the part number I have to order..? Thank you.

Josep

#12 · (Edited)
Found this in RockAuto, are they correct please..?
It says 289 V8 but these sizes I think are the ones also for my car.

Pinion seal TIMKEN 8181NA Ford 7.25"/8" ring gear
Crush Sleeve USA Standard Gear 2.00" long Ford 7.25"

Josep

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.