Vintage Mustang Forums banner

To clone or not

9K views 89 replies 41 participants last post by  Rubberdonuts 
#1 ·
What is everyone's thought on making a 67-68 Mustang look like a Shelby GT350 or GT500? Is their too many out there already? I have a 67 Mustang fastback, A-code, 4spd.,ps, and db. My car is rust free(original floor pans and quarters). Car is ready for paint.
I do have a Shelby hood, front nose piece, deck lid,side scoops upper and lower,and rear tail light assembly from previous projects. I would still need to purchase many other Shelby specific pieces to make the car look good in my eyes. Should I install on this car,get the rest of the Shelby items or sell and use money elsewhere?
Car is Clearwater Aqua. with black int
I like the colors Brittany blue or Acapulco blue with Deluxe Black or Parchment int.

Thank you for all your opinions for and against

#2 ·
I would make the nicest '67 Fastback you can by selling the Shelby parts you have now. You have the bones for a very nice car (restomod or likewise).

You'll get a lot of different opinions, but I see clones as fakes. It's not a real Shelby. If you were to do the exterior modifications but not paint SHELBY GT350 on it or use the badging, then sure. That's a custom car. But as soon as you try to pass it off as something it's not... then it's fake.

#6 ·
What about the engine? You didn't say if it's numbers matching or other. I'd say if its all numbers matching then keep it original. If its going to be a non-correct engine setup then go with the Shelby.
I recall seeing 2 nearly identical Mustangs on one of the auction shows (B-J I think) and I think they were 67 or 8 black Mustang FBs. One was original and nice. It brought about $45K. The other was resto-modded and maybe some Eleanor stuff and it brought close to $75K. Its been a few years ago, and I cannot say those are exact prices, but you get the idea.
The purists would hate to see a nice original car be turned into a clone, but as far as dollars returned go, I don't see a big deal either way.

#50 ·
This is the trend, whether a person likes it or not, and where the money is. This is a perfect example of where the Restomod market is right now...it's what sells at a higher dollar.

If it were me I'd make the clone. I don't care about the "it's a fake" BS. I heard the same thing when I had might Shelby Cobra...and I was enjoying that way more than the person in the minivan making the comment...."oh, it's just a kit".

They look more aggressive and people are drawn to them. As long as you're not trying to pass it off as a real Shelby when questioned, I don't see the harm.

#7 ·
If I did a Shelby clone i would do it right, the paint,roll bar, interior,, wheels, and badging. When or if I sold it I would def. let people know it's not a real Shelby. I know I will never be able to afford to have a true Shelby .
If I leave it as Mustang I would make it like I wanted it. Different color with deluxe int. just have to find the right color combo I like.
No it is not a matching motor or trans. I do have a 289 mtr and a 4 sod. Top loader. I have a 347 with a 5 speed that I would like to install
Thanks everyone for all the input!!!!

#8 ·
I say if you are going to do, don't cut ANY corners. I hate seeing half A$$ED so called clones. First it detracts front the car. Second, it says I wanted too, but I just couldn't get there. Third it detracts from what you were actually trying to "clone". A friend of mine did a '66 350 clone 25 years ago. He probably had as much in it as it would have cost to buy one. But I would have challenged anyone, even true Shelby enthusiasts to call it for what it wasn't.

#9 ·
It's all the ones that only have fiberglass bits glued on and a 10 layer paint job with crooked stripes that has people leary of what someone might call a clone.
As mentioned with the auction examples, I wholeheartedly think you can build a car better than shelby did with today's aftermarket parts and get more bang for your buck and ROI while at it.
Then you won't have to deal with the real Shelby snobs that will chase you down to tell you all the parts you missed.
If you have a 6 letter name put that on the rear :)

#10 ·
What is everyone's thought on making a 67-68 Mustang look like a Shelby GT350 or GT500? Is their too many out there already? I have a 67 Mustang fastback, A-code, 4spd.,ps, and db. My car is rust free(original floor pans and quarters). Car is ready for paint.
I do have a Shelby hood, front nose piece, deck lid,side scoops upper and lower,and rear tail light assembly from previous projects. I would still need to purchase many other Shelby specific pieces to make the car look good in my eyes. Should I install on this car,get the rest of the Shelby items or sell and use money elsewhere?
Car is Clearwater Aqua. with black int
I like the colors Brittany blue or Acapulco blue with Deluxe Black or Parchment int.

Thank you for all your opinions for and against

#37 ·
Martin,
My opinion is that you shouldnt give a rats behind about my or anyone elses opinion. Do what makes you happy and forget if others do/dont like it. If you like the shelby look go for it.

Good luck
Paul

#24 · (Edited)
I don't like to hear "Nice car, Is it real?

I just love that one. I usually slap my door and respond "Feels real to me!" or "Nope. It'll run circles around a "real one!"

My "Clone" would be better classified as a resto-mod. The car looks pretty "stock" but has a 351W and SoT coil overs. If there is any doubt you will complete the transition, DON'T do it. Build your car/restore it as you see fit, but sometimes I wish I had driven all the bugs out for a couple years and then done the body mods (rather than tackling it all at once and having to make a few compromises). Because I continue to tinker with new ideas/mods that end up costing money that could be spent other places or on a second Mustang.

I much prefer a well done "regular" Mustang to a mediocre Shelby clone.

#13 ·
Go for it. All the looks and less concern. I mean, I get worried every time I drive but if you own a true Shelby and someone hits you. Ouch. But if you own a clone it takes some of the stress out of driving it on public roads.

LJ

#14 ·
Im taking off the side stripes on my GTA because they look shelby to me. So went the mustang script and rocker molding. I'm on the fence for the GTA square. I'm putting on a R apron, purist beware. Maybe an off center stripe too.

I say keep the shelby scoops/front but leave off the writing. Do everything to make a bad a$$ pro touring car.

Ultimately it yours, if it's cool people will think it's cool. Recreation or not, it has to be done right.

#32 ·
once again color combinations are personal preference. let me remind you, the car is yours, build it to satisfy you, not us. if you were building the car for me, i would have you make it white with a medium blue or grey interior. but thats me.

#20 ·
You have an A code 4 speed. Leave well enough alone. Unmodified cars are getting fewer and fewer.

MY $0.02

#21 ·
Personally, I've seen all the clones I ever want to see. I'd rather see a bone stock car or a tasteful yet unique restomod any day. The clone thing has been done to death and 10 steps beyond.

Just my 2 cents
MrFreeze

#22 ·
Your car, do what you want with it. I have nothing against clone or tribute cars as long as people don't try to pass them off as originals. I'm planning to finish my car off as a Boss 302. I want the look without the worry I'd have with driving an original around. I'd love to have a 1967 Shelby. But no way in the world could I afford one. Maybe someday I'll do a clone.

#23 ·
I'm with rbohm. Your car, your money. I will say that I think as the restomods (really popular at auctions lately it seems) and the clones continue to increase, the originals will decrease (have to by pure math) in numbers and as a result will be the next wave of high bid cars at auctions. It seems to cycle. So to the OP's question, build how you want it. If you're going to drive it and enjoy it and not worry about the money made on a sale, then by all means, build it how you wish...

Allen

#25 · (Edited)
Of course it's his car, but he's asking for opinions. I come down on the side of originality looking. As pointed out, they are getting more rare, and it's nice to see a T or C or A code owner that sees merit in making his car look it's best, without riding on the wore out clone bandwagon.

And Clearwater Aqua is a beautiful color.

All that said, if the OP has already assembled all these clone parts, then it looks like that's already what he wants to be driving. Why bring a bunch of yahoos into the decision ?

Z

#33 ·
A clone with a big motor, stick shift, disc brakes......can be soooooo much fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNxILhJUW44
That's no clone, not even at first glance. The description as "clone" sure gets thrown around loosely these days. By definition a clone is an exact duplicate. Btw dodgestang, like others I miss having quick access to the wheel and tire fitment chart you compiled, I thought it was a great tool! :)

#27 ·
I have asked myself that question many times. I have been gathering parts for a 67 GT500 clone for years. I intend to make it as correct as possible with the exception of a 427 side oiler in place of the 428 PI. I have a RUG-S 4-speed, C7ZX 2x4 intake etc. I would love to own a real one but the truth is they are just too expensive. I will most likely clone the 67 GT500 my brother had when I was a kid. White with blue side stripes only (most 67's did not have over the top stripes) 4 speed car with factory air and magstars. Still remember riding in it when I was 10. As long as people with clones do not try to pass them off as real I don't see the issue. How many Cobra replicas are there in the world. Way more than real Cobras, that is for sure.

#28 ·
The car is to a point that if I wanted to add the Shelby pieces , now would be the time. I have come across the Shelby items in the past.
Still deciding on color combo Acapulco blue or Brittany blue with deluxe black or parchment int? Either for the Shelby clone or the regular Mustang
The reason I might change the color if I keep it as a regular Mustang is I have a 67 conv. that is already Clearwater Aqua with deluxe Aqua int. This is the factory color. It's just a coincidence that I have two 67's with the same factory color.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.