Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Running rich

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Moodster 
#1 ·
I have a 69 coupe with a 302. The PO says he had a "mild" cam put in the motor. Carb is an autolite 2100 with a tag # of C7AFBT. The car has been running very rich (black oily spark plugs and lots of black liquid coming out of exhaust). On start up I have to hold down the gas pedal to the floor because it is always flooded. I removed the carb and found the air pocket on the drivers side of the intake filled with gas. I had the carb rebuilt, put on a new fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points and condenser since I was in there. Have had to set the timing by ear because the cam has changed the timing from the factory 6 degrees.The choke seems to be working but it is still extremely rich. Could it be that the jets are too big? I don't have the number off of the jets yet. Just wanted some thoughts before I have to seek professional help. Maybe time for an new 4 barrel and intake? Thanks in advance for any thoughts. I have learned a lot by reading this forum. This is my first post.

G
#2 ·
Sounds like you need a rebuild. You are leaking fuel internally. Either the needle/seat or the float level is too high or a combination of both. When you turn off the engine, look into the venturi and see if you see fuel dripping or vapor.

#3 ·
the 2100 is about 350 CFM give or take. no way that can run rich on a V8.
you jets should be about at 61 or so

I agree. Carb needs internal adjustment on the floats or the choke assy or the power valve maybe blown or not there.

the 2100 is easy of the easy to rebuild. you can do it yourself in no time. The only thing you have to be concerned with is to watch the check ball in the shooter housing. its easily lost or can fall out. then to be sure the choke housing catches the tang.

#5 ·
Float adjusted a little low and when float bowl has gas in it I cannot blow into the fuel line so I know the needle, seat and gasket are ok. Power valve is brand new. After running the car for a few minutes it ran rich again. Removed the carb and found the new gaskets both underneath & on top of the spacer soaked w/ gas. Thinking of new gaskets and some kind of sealant. Any thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.