Vintage Mustang Forums banner

67 engine mounts

7K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  PetesPonies 
#1 ·
Where would I look at buying a set of proper 289 engine mounts for my '67? Mustang Barn is only in the resto business now that their retail store's closed and AFAIK they were the only guys with the proper ones. I know NPD and others sell the "replacement" '68 style which raises the motor a little bit. Any lines out there on a proper set for '67?

#3 ·
I might need some schooling on these mounts.
I believe it's the insulators that are unique to '67 289 engines. But do those 67-only insulators require unique 67-only engine frame mounts (if that's the right term), as in 22GT's pic?
Back in the mid 1980's I broke an engine mount, probably was just the insulator that broke. I just can't remember if the shop that fixed it replaced the insulator only or did the mount plus insulator. I strongly doubt the right 1967 part(s) were put in as my engine has always set a little high since then. If it's just the insulator that's unique, then a set of those is all I'll need to purchase. Nothing's broken on the car right now, but I was just going to pick up a set to through on the shelf as my insulators are 30 years old now.

G
#4 ·
The frame mounts in a '67 are the same as the BB frame mounts in '68. That is the reason they are expensive. So with the '67 frame mount, you need the '67 style SB engine mount. If you switched to the '68 style SB frame mounts, you could use the '68 stock engine mount. And your '67 frame mounts would sell easily.

#5 ·
You are correct that frame mount and insulator need to be used as a pair for 67 289.
There is waning knowledge and availability of the 67-only mounts.
Engine sitting high and slightly crooked are an indication of non-67 insulators.
Getting a set of the 67-only engine (insulator) mounts is a good idea as I don't know if they are reproduced and I was unable to find them. Plenty of places sent me what they insisted would fit, but all were the anything-but 67 mount.

I opted to get 69 frame mounts from ebay and use the 'normal' engine mounts.

#7 ·
It is seriously crazy the kind of knowledge that you pick up just lurking here. I have a fresh 289 waiting to be installed in its freshly restored home, buttoned it up a year ago. I try to save all the parts that I can in keeping as much original as possible. I did look up the replacement motor mount insulators in the NPD buy them for the car. I thought that was one part worthy of replacement after 49 years of service. I had no idea that those darned things were so usual for the 67 model year. As I have learned very well in my own adventure, there is no stranger beast among pony cars than an early 67 (November, 1967 to be specific). I have learned strange things about steering column bearings, A/C plenum ducts, windshield pillar pads, and on an on. Now I can add the motor mount insulators to the list! I pulled out the old ones and compared to the new ones and there is no question, they are not the same. One thing that seemed to frustrate the search for info is some confusion on the part number--mine bear C7ZA-6038-F. The Mustang Barn pdf that I came across refers to this insulator as "C7ZE" which is not correct. Either way, I sure am glad I clicked on this and looked into it closely. I know how frustrated I would have been trying to understand why the insulator from NPD would not line up correctly! Thankss JFStang for asking the question!

Attachments

#8 ·
One thing that seemed to frustrate the search for info is some confusion on the part number--mine bear C7ZA-6038-F. The Mustang Barn pdf that I came across refers to this insulator as "C7ZE" which is not correct.
That's where you went wrong. The number on the part is NOT the part number, it is the engineering number. These never match each other. One of Ford's weirder ideas.

The number in the Barn article is correct.

http://www.mustangbarn.com/PDFs/1964-66 Smallblock V8 Motor Mounts.pdf

#9 ·
I might need some schooling on these mounts.
OK, read this:
http://www.mustangbarn.com/PDFs/1964-66 Smallblock V8 Motor Mounts.pdf

I believe it's the insulators that are unique to '67 289 engines.
As the above link explains, not exactly.

But do those 67-only insulators require unique 67-only engine frame mounts (if that's the right term), as in 22GT's pic?
The 67 (and later convertible) mounts sit at a different angle (not at a different engine height, which many people believe), an attempt by Ford to correct a harmonic. Later they determined hardtop and fastback cars did not require them, and switched back to the 66 insulator. Oddly, the 70 BOSS 302 also uses the C7ZE style, although it wears a 1970 part number due to the addition that year of safety ears, which the above linked part has.

#11 ·
On the other hand, how often do you replace mounts? I broke one in my Thunderbird SC once, it was 14 years old at the time. I have never broken a Mustang motor mount.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.