Vintage Mustang Forums banner

GT "Alpha"

4K views 56 replies 25 participants last post by  NEFaurora 
#1 ·
HI! I have a shot at a really nice local GT coupe "Alpha". Anyone know what the Alpha means? Is it an early GT?
loaded except A/C, has 4 speed, power B & S, very strong engine, not pony interior but really nice, $29,000.

Any thoughts?

#6 ·
Sounds like total BS to me.
Post is worthless without photos of this "Alpha" ........... whatever it is.
No power brakes on 65/66 GT cars.

#16 ·
The OP didn't state what year Mustang. He simply said it's an, "early GT". For someone not intimately familiar with Mustangs, that could easily mean a 1967 car.

For the OP, FYI, in 1967 Ford called a Mustang GT with an automatic transmission a "GTA". Likely, this is what the seller is talking about. The "A" doesn't make the car more rare, desirable or valuable. Nothing wrong with it. If the car is an original GTA, apparently, someone swapped in a 4-speed.

If you post pictures and get some details about the car, we can help you to determine if this car is a good buy for you. If it is a 1967, you should order a Marti Report for it if the seller doesn't have one. It will tell you exactly how the car came from the factory.

#19 · (Edited)
Looks like a semi-rough '66 GT (or clone thereof). $30k is way, way, way too much money for this car, even if it did turn out to be a real GT (which isn't particularly likely).

Owner sez in the ad that he doesn't know much about his cars, and I can confirm. I suspect he's confused A-code (meaning factory equipped with a 289 4v engine, the middle of the three V8 engine choices, and represented by the 5th digit in the car's VIN) with 'Alpha' somehow, but who knows.

#23 ·
I agree, the Alpha claim means absolutely nothing. It appears to be a Tahoe Turquoise 66 hardtop with the standard Turquoise interior. Other than the Rally Pac, 4-speed trans (with 67 knob) and non-functional Ford AC, there doesn't seem to be anything rare about it. Since he doesn't share the VIN, it's only a possibility that it's a real GT. The engine and underside tell us it a half-assed attempt at "restoration" with very little attempt at originality.

On the other hand, it isn't butchered, and could become a pretty decent car if he cut the price about ten grand.

#36 ·
Visual proof of what?

#34 ·
"power B & S"

You sure that they didn't mean Power BS?!??!?

:eek:)

#35 ·
"Real 65/66 GT's came with the Pony interior. "

Ummm...No.

Any '65 or '66 GT could have been had with either a Standard or a Deluxe interior....

The Deluxe interior was a separate option altogether...as mentioned above.

:eek:)

Tony K.

Reactions: RC 65 A Code
#39 ·
Thanks guys! I bailed on this car. Been combing the market for the right car. Autotrader classic, ebay, etc.
I'm looking for a clean 65/66, maybe a 67, V8, AC, auto or 4spd, 20K-25K ish that I can drive and gently improve, and will hold or increase in value.
There are a lot of cars out there!

I had three cars back in the HS daze, 65 coupe V8 4 spd (too leaned on, ratty, didn't keep it long), then a 66 V8 stripper, then a really nice 67 V8 coupe with AC, power S & B. miss that one!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.