Vintage Mustang Forums banner

steering geometry problems

922 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Huskinhano 
#1 ·
ok, my 66 coupe had always pulled hard to the left when driving so i finally decided to have all the tracking etc checked. The guy at the garage said it was miles out and he adjusted it all up. Afterwards it drove in a straight line, i could actually let go of the steering wheel without veering into a ditch. Anyway, the guy told me that the front shock bushings were shot, and they were, split in half . So i fitted new shocks, went out for a drive and there was an HORRENDOUS squealing from the tyres, starting at about 10-15 mph and increasing pitch with speed. I got out and looked at the front tyres, they seem to be pointing in too much from the front and tilting out at the top. Could fitting new shocks have made that much difference to the geometry?

#2 ·
Can simply adding front shocks cause a squeal. Hard to guess, but, did you final torque the shocks with the full weight on the car? It sounds like your "toe" changed.
Bottom line is, do all of the intended front end work first, then, have the alignment checked.

#3 ·
Only thing I can think of that would cause that just from a shock change is the shocks being stuck fully extended. Does the front sit higher than it did before? What shocks did you install? Is it a good quality shock?

Rick

#4 ·
I'm guessing the new shocks are nitrogen-filled. Maybe of the KYB variety?
If the front end has been rolled (settled) and it's still up in the air, that's
pretty much the issue.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

#6 ·
+1 on what Kenash said. Tourque them down, then, one or two options... jack the front end up and set it back down a few times til the camber re-sets itself, or, option 2, buy a big block :)

#7 ·
They were Monroe shocks, the car does sit alot higher at the front now, but that happened after the guy adjusted the alignment and before I fitted the shocks. When I fitted the top shock bolts I had to push the the mounting plate over with quite alot of force against resistance to get the holes to line up, is that normal?

#8 ·
I seem to have fixed it, i put a long straight edge against the front wheels and adjusted the tie rods until the straight edge had a uniform distance between 'it' and the sill (rocker panel?) then i adjusted it a tad for a slight bit of toe in. Took it out and it's driving the best it ever has, no squealing or pulling. There was absolutely tons of toe in before i did the adjustment, like 20 degrees, no wonder it lost power, it was trying to plow it's way down the road!

#9 ·
Glad it's driving good now. When I do alignments on my 66, I fold those 3 mil heavy duty plastic garbage bags up and put them under the tires for slip sheet. It works great, you don't get the side wall loading. I also like to use 2 folding wooded rulers supported across the front and back of the tires a few inches off the ground. It's real easy to measure the toe quickly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.