Vintage Mustang Forums banner

headlights aiming height

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Lakeside'66 
#1 ·
Is there a specification on where the headlights should aim? Mine are pointing way off I can tell. I know how to physically do the adjustment but how far in front and how high should the aim? Thanks for the input!

#3 ·
I simply marked my garage wall with chalk where my light beams hit with lights on and the car about 3 ft from the wall then backed outside about a car length and a half then dialed the beam onto the chalk marks. Needed to tweak them a bit after I went for a drive at night but that was very close.

#6 ·
This is covered well in the shop manual. I drive a lot at night on two lane roads and I can always tell when someone who is not mechanically inclined replaced one of their headlights. Really, you did it yourself? I couldn't tell. One or the other is pointed right at you.

Do it properly as the guy coming the other direction will appreciate it.

#7 ·
I did mine at night on a long flat road. New Wagner Halogens, yuge alt and relays made a yuge difference. I tested several settings for night driving which I do on mostly rural 2 lane winding roads that might have deer ot turtles etc

You'll see a "beam point,:shrug:" Start with it pointed too short at the road ahead. I like to see the actual road. You can watch the main beam go from actually hitting the road some distance ahead to shining into infinity, it still lit the road ahead but aim it down to where the center beam of the light is actually hitting the road far ahead as possible and makes an oblong shape to infinity. Give it a slight inboard bias in consideration of oncoming drivers.
The PS I set a bit higher to focus farther away, I also gave it some slight outboard shift to light a bit more of the shoulder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.