Vintage Mustang Forums banner

had someone show up with cash for the mustang this weekend

4K views 45 replies 34 participants last post by  John7660 
#1 ·
I've mentioned here before that I have a "for sale" sign in the mustang. It's not listed anyplace, but the sign is there.

So the family and I are out for dinner on Friday night and as we're leaving a nice young man (maybe 19 or 20) asks if that's our mustang in the parking lot. I tell him it is, he says it's beautiful and asks how much.

I tell him I'm asking 25. I get a text on Saturday asking if we're around on Sunday, he'd like to have his father come take a look at the car with him. I tell him yes, but it's suppose to rain, come early, the car hasn't been driven in the rain for 30 years.

8:00 Sunday morning they arrive, look at the car, ask some questions and we go for a quick ride. He asks if he and his father can talk for a minute, I tell them sure, just come in through the garage when they're done I'll be in the kitchen

Father says, I know you're asking 25, he has 23 in cash and loves the car, I talk to the wife (it's actually her car) and she says sell it.

He then hands me $2300......

I ask if he's going to get a loan for the rest, or if he'll be back later in the week and he's confused.

I explain that the car is $25,000 not $2500 and both he and the father are shocked...

How can a 50 year old car be that expensive? They were only like $3000 brand new.

I apologize for the confusion, they apologized for wasting my morning and we talked classic cars for a little while.

Off they went, looking for a $2500 car

See less See more
#5 ·
I have to admit I saw that coming. At the beginning of the story I was thinking, wow, dads gonna step up and buy his high school aged son a 25k car.....I assume the kid knew better. What kid his age does not look at online sites for cars.

#18 ·
My 14 year old daughter likes cars (she currently wants a '67 impala...something about a tv show and the main characters drive one). I've told her that whatever she can save I will match. If she saves $1000 she'll look for a $2000 car, if she saves $10,000 she has $20,000 to shop.

I think kids should have a vested interest in their cars so that they understand things aren't free.

So far, at 14 she has just short of $6000 saved from babysitting (and some 1st Communion money).

I like the idea of the classic, but the dad in me would like to see something with crumble zones and lots of airbags

#6 · (Edited)
Make you wonder? Many non car enthusiasts would be amazed at the value of most vintage cars, hey $2500 gets a mid quality MAACO paint job!

#7 ·
Wow... I guess you'll have to be more clear in the future.

That happened to me buying my new truck. They asked how much I was going to put down, I said 15 plus my old truck as trade. After I got a price I was happy with they came back with the write up with $1,500 down... I said no, 15 thousand. Guess they're used to everyone putting nothing down and paying for 8 years.

Reactions: TraciInTexas
#8 ·
Yeah, when I had mine in CL for '31', some guy texted '3100?', to which I replied, 'that might pay for the tranny'.

Reactions: TraciInTexas
#32 ·
Hahahahahahaha! Rough economy man, gotta save that $200 for the engine rebuild to get 500 hp.

#12 ·
Seriously?
They have to have been screwing with you.
I don't think it's possible to be that disconnected from reality.....
Even common sense dictates that anything that has survived in "such and such"
condition for 50 years is going to be worth more scratch that $2500 in 2016 dollars.

Reactions: Israel
#15 ·
Seriously?
They have to have been screwing with you.
I don't think it's possible to be that disconnected from reality....."
Sadly, it is possible. Not to get into the wisely forbidden topic of politics, but an election year is a great example of willful disbelief.

People will just believe what they want to believe, regardless of facts or evidence to the contrary. The ability to really learn, and modify behavior to reflect the new knowledge gained, is in short supply.

I think that's connected to why I like the VMF, and other technical forums. People here want to learn, and even better, are willing to shed long held beliefs if they are shown to be no longer valid.

Stepping down from the soapbox,

Z

#13 ·
Some people are amazing. For many years people asked my dad if his 64.5 vert was for sale. He would always tell them 20k. One guy came back and said he had the cash. When my dad counted it there was only 10k there. The guy responded "that's all they are really worth"..
Dad sold the car later for 25k..

#30 ·
Got you beat, both ways...paid 950 in 1989, have put close to 40k up till now.:yoho:

#20 ·
"I explain that the car is $25,000 not $2500 and both he and the father are shocked..."

I'm not surprised in the least....The ignorance that is out there is truly amazing.... Not that they were bad people or anything... just ignorant most likely..

"People will just believe what they want to believe, regardless of facts or evidence to the contrary. The ability to really learn, and modify behavior to reflect the new knowledge gained, is in short supply."

+1

So True!!! I could not have said it better myself..!!!!! LOL!!!!!

I just think that a lot of people are just so damn lazy today that they don't even care to learn anymore... My personal opinion..

:eek:)

Tony K.

#22 ·
No no, the father thought it was worth 2300.00.............that is indeed a story! When I was a teenager in the 70's, my buddy and I drove out to the country where he was very excited about buying a 39 chevy for five........we/he had the same experience. The guy was nice enough about it, just kind of chuckled and said, no, five thousand.....duh... my buddy turned bright red and we apologized and left.

#25 ·
I was looking at a 70 f100 shortbed with 302 and 3 on the tree at a gas station about 3 or 4 years ago and the gentleman showed me the truck and gave me his phone # and I gave him mine. About a month went by and I got a phone call from his wife, she told me he had a stroke and wanted to sell me the truck. I asked her for the price and she said 6. I assumed it was 6k and thought about it for about 24hrs. The next day she phoned me back and said that the neighbor offered $650. When I heard her say $650 , I almost dropped the phone. She said that because I was first in line she would sell it for $600 to me but could I tell her what the decision was. I told her it was worth more but I indeed wanted the truck. So I gave her $650 and was blown away with the deal. I drove it home expecting the motor to explode or something but upon inspection with a bore camera I pulled plugs and found new pistons. The motor had just been rebuilt. So crazy deals happen.

#26 ·
I tell folks I paid $800.00 for my 65, and their jaws hang open. Then I tell them it was back in 1980, and that was my first year in the Army and got paid $5200 that year. $800 was a big chunk out of my yearly funds.

#27 ·
Wow. Unbelievable what people think. That reminds me of a story about my '66 coupe (back story on my car....my mother special ordered it back in '65. Been in the family the whole time). So, back about 30 years ago I was working at a local store. An older gentleman walks in and asks "who owns the mustang?". I told him I did. He says, "I'll give you $500 for it right now". I politely declined. He got sort of indignant at that point and said $500 was a lot of money. I said yes $500 is a lot of money but the car is worth in the neighborhood of $2000 to $3000. He looked at me strangely and walked out the door. I still get a little chuckle thinking about him.

#28 ·
LOL! This happened to my dad, but it was a TV, not a car. Back in the 50s, dad was in the business of selling TVs and a guy walks in and wants to buy a "radio with the peetch" (old Italian guy). My dad shows him a modest table model and tells him it's $325. Several months later the guy decides to buy and, just like OP's story, is stunned to learn it's over $300, not $3.25. My dad asked him what took him so long to decide?

True story.

I absolutely believe those guys didn't have a clue what a vintage car is worth. OTOH, did any Mustang buyer in 1965 ever think his mustang would be worth $25000 some day?

John

#35 ·
Just a reminder. OP is selling.

#37 ·
My buddy ran into something similar recently. Selling a rare 69 Mach 1 R code project.
Asking price $25K and the potential buyer said he had some other old Stangs etc. so when
the buyer said "23" by buddy figured he meant $23K.
When they got back in touch to talk about finalizing the deal the buyer said he
didn't realize asking price was $25K and he thought it was $2500!!
It does amazed me how many people are out of touch with reality!

#38 ·
Willful disbelief? Vintage Mustangs are one of the most popular cars and people interested in them in the world. We sometimes think most others at least have a passing knowledge of the value of our beauties.

So we have a young guy, possibly high school senior. Main interests possible are girls, sports, graduating/getting out of high school. Then there's getting into a college after a year of SATs, campus
tours etc. and/or getting a job. His Dad isn't wealthy but as I recall I did when our kids were that age
"I'll cough up $x for a start to help with a first car". The Dad may (unlike what we tend to think is everyone) have interest in cars as means of transportation. Son sees it as aid to freedom and wheels pluss
likes the look of your old car (Mustang). They both know no way can Dad and I afford a late model car.
We are looking at old (depreciated) cars.

IMO this is a very believable story!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.