Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Blinker and ignition problem

935 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  DejanM31 
#1 ·
I bought a 69 Mustang Coupe and now i'm trying to sort few problems.

Biggest problem right now is that blinkers don't work so i can't go on a road with it.
All other electrics is working ok, except dash light. When i push the rod for a left or right turn there is no sound, but i can see the arrows blinking fast. It starts to blink 2 seconds after i push the rod. I can also see that interior light and back lights are blinking a little bit too but blinkers itself don't work at all.
Looks like there is electrical shortage somewhere or you suspect something else?
I opened the steering wheel to see what's there and here is a picture. Yellow wire is connected to a plastic, which is broken. Is this important for something?

My other problem is ignition. When i push the key into ignition and turn it, the whole ignition turns with it. I need to hold the housing and turn the key to make it work. I also don't see any lights on a dash to tell me if i have contact or not.

See less See more
#2 ·
Yellow wire is for the horn. It is supposed to have a spring under it, and when you push the horn button there is a contact plate that makes contact with it and the horn sounds.

The reason the ignition switch is turning is the housing is lose or damaged. Google how to replace turn signal mechanism and also how to remove and replace the ignition switch. YouTube will probably have it or use the Search function in the threads to see if someone here has done those.

If none of the dash lights work it could be a fuse or the 5 VDC regulator on the back of the instrument panel, do the gauges work and just not the lights?

Do you have a wiring diagram for the car as you'll need one to see where everything is supposed to be connected to.

Hope that helped.

#4 ·
If none of the dash lights work it could be a fuse or the 5 VDC regulator on the back of the instrument panel, do the gauges work and just not the lights?
Instrument voltage regulator (IVR) has nothing to do with the operation of the instrument cluster illumination lamps.

Paul

#5 ·
I bought a 69 Mustang Coupe and now i'm trying to sort few problems.

Biggest problem right now is that blinkers don't work so i can't go on a road with it.
All other electrics is working ok, except dash light. When i push the rod for a left or right turn there is no sound, but i can see the arrows blinking fast. It starts to blink 2 seconds after i push the rod. I can also see that interior light and back lights are blinking a little bit too but blinkers itself don't work at all.
Looks like there is electrical shortage somewhere or you suspect something else?
Test:
Remove the TS flasher from its connector (wires should be ORG/YEL and BLU) and jumper the two terminals together with a short piece of wire, paper clip, etc. Turn on the ignition switch and manually move the turn signal switch lever each way while someone observes if any of the TS lamps on the car light as well as the indicators in the dash. Do not hold in either direction for more than a few seconds (in case you do have a short).

Paul

#8 ·
Did you do the test?

Paul

#10 ·
Dont understand your last sentence.

The test bypasses the flasher and tells you if the problem is in the flasher unit or not. Are you certain you dont have the emergency flasher switch ON?

Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.