Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1970 Mach 351C fan replacement - what fan?

6K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  hankmeister 
#1 ·
My 1970 Mach I came with an aftermarket flex fan when I bought the car. I do not care for the look. I picked up an 18" DA0E, which I was told was the correct one, but it doesn't fit as I need a 17" fan. I want the fan to look stock. What are my options?

Thanks!

#7 ·
Can someone with an original 70 Mach with a 351C, non ac, measure the diameter of the fan and core to hose dimension as shown in this thread?

#9 · (Edited)
#12 ·
UPDATE: 1970 Mach 351C fan replacement - what fan?

I ended up purchasing the fan and clutch noted previously:

GMB 930-2300 THERMAL FAN CLUTCH
FLEX-A-LITE 5717 STANDARD ROTATION 6-BLADE CLUTCH FAN 17"

I put it all together and the fan was about 1/32" from the bottom of the shroud. this could be due to many reasons as I had plenty of room the rest of the way around. I create a little more room I trimmed the lower radiator insulator support on the DS and got the gap between the fan and shroud to about 1/4". Starter the car and revved with no issues.

It doesn't look stock but it isn't one of those crappy flex fans either or the stock 4-blade.

Thanks for all the replies.

#13 ·
Interesting, this should help me. I recently had to replace the fan shroud on my '70 fastback/351C 4v/manual transmission. The shroud I purchased was supposedly the correct one, but now the fan currently on the engine hits the bottom of the fan shroud (which it didn't before....). Haven't measured current fan, but I'm debating either getting a shorter spacer, or a fan with a slightly smaller diameter. The info above will surely be of use! Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.