Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Selling cars.....how to do things....help needed

724 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Mustmatt 
#1 ·
The wife and I are on the fence about making a major financial move and going after a waterfront home we both like.

In order to do it....I can't keep all my cars.

What I have
65 Mustang FB C code - good shape. Restored 12 yrs ago, bubbles showing on driver side door, other than that rust free. Well sorted car with a 410c. Lentech AOD, 3 link, 4 wheel BIG disc brakes.....run low 11 high 10. Street car, pump gas etc.

67 Mustang FB C code - just finished resto on it. Excellent shape. Took it to metal painted it green. No rust on car. New 347 roller motor, 5 speed, 9 inch, 4 wheel disc, suspension...etc

68 Mustang FB S Code GT with Shelby Fiberglass, rollbar, tail lights, headlights, fog lights etc...older resto. Paint has some age here and there...just repainted the hood to fix fibers showing. No rust or pops showing in doors. 408w all forged roller motor, 5 speed, 9 inch, 4 wheel disc.....well sorted and fun to drive.

Where's the REAL market on these cars....what can I expect out of them. Where should I sell....what's the magic number.....32k? 35k 40k higher? lower?

See less See more
#2 ·
Dodge. if you want to PM me I can give you a dealers perspective. With the pound just taking a dump against the dollar your UK market is a bit smaller though

I can give you my observations if of any value to you.

Reactions: Stevea
#3 ·
I would do your research on Ebay, CL, and several of the larger auctions.

I think I would post them on CL and at the same time put listings on Ebay with good healthy reserves. You will lose maybe $180 listing them on Ebay if they don't sell. I think that's well worth it. Put your reserve at a price you are willing to let them go. It will also give you a good base on what people are willing to pay, then you can adjust the price as needed. After the auctions, there will be likely buyers contacting you to buy the car. Sell overseas on your cars, not just to the US. This will include many more buyers. You can also post them on Cars On line.com: Classic Cars For Sale and check prices there too.

If you want to try an auction, then do one with a reserve. I think the 67/68 cars would do well at auction, but not sure the 65 will bring the money you want. The fees are what kills you at auctions, so I would try Ebay and CL first. There is also Hemmings.

Good luck.

#6 ·
Ebay with reserves. Starting price at $100 starting Friday night at 6pm Eastern time with a 10-day auction. This will get you 2-weekends of exposure and it will end on a Sunday night when everyone is home. DO NOT have the listing run through a holiday because you lose exposure because everyone is at the party or on vacation.

If it doesn't sell, no biggie because it was great advertising.

Your next listing for the vehicle should be a BUY IT NOW or Best Offer. Once you place that listing, everyone who bid, watched or even viewed the prior listing will get an alert that they have a 2nd chance to buy it again.

Good luck my friend!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.