Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1968 C Code Value

7K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  slim 
#1 ·
I ran across a 1968 coupe for sale in town that's much nicer than others I've seen around. The 289 2 barrel was upgraded to a Holly 4 barrel carb at some point, and it also has a new coil and new aluminum Ford racing headers. New dark green paint with pinstripes done five years ago, and totally clean trunk and engine compartment. No rust apart from a few nicks in the door edges. New upholstery and headliner, everything functions. No noticeable rust underneath and new shocks. Some waves in the sheet metal. Modern sound system. I'm curious about a possible value. Seller is asking $12500, he's willing to go down to $11500 though. Pictures attached. Thank you for the assistance!

Attachments

See less See more
G
#4 ·
The fact that it is several years old on the paint is a good thing. If you don't feel qualified to check the body over closely, underneath and so . . . pay someone. I think still at bit under his new number is where the deal is.

#5 · (Edited)
Depends on where in the country you're at. How common are rust free cars where you live? On the east coast, that's a good price, out west it is probably just a bit high. Up North by you, it's harder to say. You need to do a little research. Check with your local Mustang club, for recent prices in the area.

#6 ·
a couple of things i noticed from pics (i have 68)

the front fender badging is missing
the rear qrt marker is missing
the side art trim piece is missing

they either pulled those and filled before paint or those are replacement panels.

the interior carpet and dash is faded/worn. (no chrome left around gauges)

If there is no major rust under the car/trunk or bubbles under the paint. AND the engine has good compression I personally don't think 11,000 is out of line. Would test all the lights, steering, compression, trans etc.

for reference I paid 13,000 for mine.

recent rebuilt engine (5-7K) with good compression
factory A/C
all new interior
new front suspension and steering
new tires and rear leaf springs
underside has previous repair on trq boxes and floor pans
everything functioned on the car
the car was re-sprayed but was horrible with orange peel and I spent a lot of time color sanding the car to bring it to acceptable levels.

#13 · (Edited)

I also have a 68 (Vert). I'm not a fan of bling. Removed the front fender pony and script, rocker molding and the fake scoop chrome from each side and the M U S T A N G letters from the trunk lid. This car also has the MUSTANG letters removed.

I think the interior looks really good!

#7 ·
I contacted the local club. Prices are all over the place up in these parts, but they're always rusty because of the salt used all winter (which is about 6 months!). The interior gauges are a worn goldish color and the carpet actually looks like it could be dark green instead of black. A mechanic with 60s Mustang experience is checking it Monday, we shall see. More pics will follow nonetheless. Thanks again everybody!

#10 ·
The gold gauges are pretty much pair for the course as the chrome fades in the plastic. Also a lot of black carpets fade to a greenish color. I would say that is all pretty normal for an older care. The fact that was rust repair is the most important issue. What was repaired and how well was it done. That will have a major impact on value. From the pics, as a minimum it appears the quarters were replaced. I would want a good look at the frame rails, cowl, toque boxes and floor under the carpet.

#12 ·
I'm thinking 8-9K on this one... It looks like its going to need some good interior work to get it up to par... New carpeting, Steering wheel, Dash Inserts just to name a few...and we're not even under the hood yet..

I'm only going 9K because it has a V8 and a 4 Speed.. No way would I spend 10K on this thing with all of the numbers of coupes still out there.. 10K still buys a lot today when it comes to Mustang Coupes..especially in this depressed economy..

:eek:)

Tony K.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.