Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Metal s found in first oil change , what to do?

8K views 116 replies 32 participants last post by  Fastback97 
#1 ·
So I changed my oil after 100 miles in my 331 and found very tiny particles colored silver, and copper/gold. I know the copper isn't good news... Your thoughts?

Thank you

#4 ·
Did you cut open the oil filter to see if there are bigger pieces stuck in there?
Could tell you if it's a bigger problem than just a bit of break-in wear.

Can't think of anything other than bearings that would be the source of the gold/copper colored stuff. I'd be placing a call to the engine builder (unless that's you) to get their opinion on next steps.

#5 ·
I haven't cut open the filter. So you guys think the motor definitely has to be torn down?

#10 ·
I think you need to determine the severity, by pulling the pan (if capable) pulling a couple mains and rod caps and posting a pic. Otherwise, revisit whomever built this engine for a discussion.

#6 ·
Most all the particles came out of filter oil

#12 ·
Okay. Thank you for the replies guys

#13 ·
And no I'm not running a bronze distributior gear

#14 ·
So I changed my oil after 100 miles in my 331 and found very tiny particles colored silver, and copper/gold. I know the copper isn't good news... Your thoughts?
I think before you go nutz ripping your car apart, you need to flush and change the oil and drive another hundred miles and check it again. Having some metal in that first oil change is pretty normal.

#25 ·
Hey guys, I just cut open the filter. It looked clean? It had some metallic oil in it with the copper hue, but I didn't see a single big chunk? The biggest pieces were maybe the size of a small grain of salt. Also, after inspection, it looks like nearly ALL the shavings are copper colored? I have most all the shavings gathered together. I know copper is a bad sign, however why is it I can't seem to find any steel colored metal dust?

#26 ·
The oil itself actually looks really clean, it's just what came out of the filter for the most part that had the copper metallic in it

#29 ·
Well if I scorched through the bearings, wouldn't I be coming across a heavy amount of steel colored metal as well?

Reactions: stangman69
#30 ·
Just thinking out loud...it is common for a newly rebuilt motor to have metal in the oil the first couple of oil changes. Confirmed with a magnet, if none of it is actually copper, I would lean towards changing the oil and running it some more. If it is in fact copper...consult your engine builder.

#33 ·
I've been taking a magnet to them, and I think the are being pulled? But to be honest it's like dust so it's hard to tell and also it's covered in oil

#37 ·
Well here is a picture. Mind you the glare from the oil makes the dust look a lot bigger than it really is. It's as small as metallic in a paint job. That's all the metallic I found in the oil change gathered in one spot, most all of it out of the filter.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.