Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Fastback Conversion On Ebay

18K views 158 replies 35 participants last post by  sessayan 
#1 ·
#2 ·
New York State did not issue titles on cars until asfter 1973 so this does not have a title just a registration

Is this for real?? I thought all cars sold by dealers CAME with a title- that's how you proved you bought it, right??

If it was done correctly by a reputable shop, runs, drives, and all works- it'd probably not that bad of a deal really. I'm curious why they wouldn't just finish it and sell it for more- suppose they realized there's a big problem somewhere and they're unloading it??

Reactions: aslan
#3 ·
Maybe the trunk doesn't close after all the mods...?

#11 ·
Yep, if bidding doesn't go much higher it could be a good deal.

And yes, you may have to spend a bundle to finish it up and have a fake fastback....but a REAL Mustang with VIN.

And look at it this way, this already has brand new suspension and parts in it....and it runs and drives.
You could spend $17,000 for a brand new Dynacorn body, spend a bundle installing suspension and finishing it up and have a fake Mustang fastback.

#13 ·
So what would my real 66 C code fastback be worth today?

All the minor rust work done, never rusted fenders hood and trunk lid body shell on wheels. A pile of new and NOS parts. All the original part fastback parts. Most of the factory stuff for factory A/C, 4 spd, and disk brakes.

I am thinking I would never get to it and might sell it.

#21 ·
Not to beat the dead horse over and over, but it's been demonstrated convincingly that if one puts any monetary value on their time or labor, it's cheaper to buy a factory fastback than it is to buy a fastback roof, and all the unique fastback parts, then spend X amount of hours turning a coupe into a fastback.

Factor in the poor resale value, especially dramatic considering the factory fastback has a proven track record of appriciaton, whereas the assembled fastbacks have no such record of likely appriciaton, and the financial rationale for building such a car is lacking.

Like I said, everyone's free to express differing opinions on the viability of assembled fastbacks. At the end of the day, what difference does it make ? If you think they are better than sliced bread, then make them. If I think they are a bad investment in time and money, then I will say so. Everybody's happy doing and thinking whatever they want, just as it should be.

Z

#22 ·
Like I said a few years ago, I'm thinking about changing my Fastback into a coupe. LOL
Stan

#23 ·
I had a pal in Honolulu turn his hardtop Galaxie into a roadster (no convertible top at all) with a saws-all. Then we reminded him it rained a lot in Hawaii. For a few minutes he was sad. Then a visionary look came over his face, and he grabbed a drill. Fifteen minutes later he had ripped out the carpet & drilled 20 one-half inch holes in the floor pan "to let the water out, man....." It was a miracle he missed hitting the fuel and brake lines as well as the exhaust system with the drill

Z

#24 ·
There is a guy making eleanor fastback coupes and getting between 25k and 35k. I could sell my car right now and pocket at least 10k -15k. Of course i do all of my own work myself. The only way you will lose money is if you pay someone else to do everything.

As far as being a "fake" fastback. My car isnt a mirage its as real as can be. I know because i drive it all the time. :wink:
I'm sorry to break this to you guys but 99.9% of people could care less what the vin said. Sorry :smile2:
But your entitled to your opinion and you can go ahead and pay Extra for a "Real" fastback. While i build mine the way i want to and for less. I dont know how its been "proven" to be less to buy a real fastback vs building a conversion. Someones numbers are off somewhere because i only have about 15k in my car and its basically a full shelby clone. I guess people just come up with their own facts to make themselves feel better.
There are a lot more converted fastbacks than you might think. :wink:

#31 ·
I've got a 69 coupe that was my Dad's. I was never a huge fan of the 69 coupe and always preferred the fastback, but I don't want to sell the coupe for sentimental reasons. Since I didn't pay anything for the coupe, I figure if I spent $15k converting it to a fastback, I'd have a good clean fastback but still have my Dad's old car. Been kicking this around for a while....

#33 ·
Vincent, when I said a "fake Fastback" I didn't mean a fake car. I meant it wasn't a factory made Fastback. Like we've said here for years, it's your car...do what you want with it.
Stan

#38 · (Edited)
I never would have guessed..........:|

I wouldn't be surprised if 4 out of 5 interested buyers would pass up a fastback once you tell them it is a coupe conversion.
I only need 1 out of 5. I think that's usually how it works.

When you are figuring out what you have into a car, how much do you calculate your time is worth, i.e. What value do you put on your time ? $10 per hour , $50 per hour, zero per hour ?
Um, i thought this was a hobby not a job. How much do you charge yourself When you watch a movie or read a book?

Interesting number. What market research data did you use to come up that ?

Lets seeeee. I have driven my car almost daily for the past 6 years. Hundreds of people and comments. Yup 99.9 %

All comments are meant to be taken "in good fun" or "with a grain of salt". As pointed out, this is a forum of widely varying opinions. Everyone has to have a thick skin and not take comments as a personal affront.
Who's offended? You also missed the part where i said you are entitled to your opinion and i am entitled to mine.:smile2:

Like Aslan said, we have always been of the opinion, "it's your car, do what YOU want". That doesn't mean we'd do it, or agree with it. If you're looking to make money off of your builds, you are up for a rude awakening and probably should find another hobby (not saying some have not made good money, most do not), but if you go into it with the idea of building what you want and not worry about the possible costs, go for it. The idea of this hobby is to be happy with what you have or strive to have.
Not everyone likes what I did to my original fastback, that's fine, but I'm not building it for them.
I think i will politely decline your offer to leave the hobby. I like my hobby. But you can leave if you want.:wink: I'm already happy with my car. I Think you skipped over my comment about money not replacing the memories of building my car with my family.

I think this about answers all of your questions and statements. Have a wonderful day.:wink:

#36 ·
Like Aslan said, we have always been of the opinion, "it's your car, do what YOU want". That doesn't mean we'd do it, or agree with it. If you're looking to make money off of your builds, you are up for a rude awakening and probably should find another hobby (not saying some have not made good money, most do not), but if you go into it with the idea of building what you want and not worry about the possible costs, go for it. The idea of this hobby is to be happy with what you have or strive to have.
Not everyone likes what I did to my original fastback, that's fine, but I'm not building it for them.

BTW, RallyVincent, I have another complete FB interior (w/fold down seats and trap door) for sale, if interested.

#39 ·
Thanks so much for answering all of our questions and statements. Have a wonderful day.
Stan

G
#41 ·
If you have a T code coupe, a rusted or wrecked fastback . . . why not? I have no problem with it. It is what it is. And many would not care if it was converted, I believe that. Just as many don't care if a T code sports a V8. If the keys turns, the car moves and it looks good, they are happy. I have a friend working for a company that buys, sells, restores etc, classic cars. He sent me some pics not long ago of a 66 fastback. Decent car, from the pics. I told him it looked like a $27-$28K car to me. They did a little more work, and it sold through a consignment at a classic car dealership. Damn thing sold for $39K I think . . . crazy. So I think the values could support the investment, if you buy it right and restore/build it prudently. That's always my goal, being prudent with the money and how it is spent.

#42 ·
Agree. And I always say, it's your car, do with it what you want. You bought and own it, if you want to turn it into a "fill in the blank", have at it. But I also feel that a car "made" into something that it was not built as at the factory is not the same as a factory car. If it does, then what good is it to have any specific model with specific options, etc.?

Allen

#44 ·
I think "basically" is where the disconnect is. When I think Shelby clone, I think of a car that is to the point of being a Shelby. If you can do that for the 15k, you might consider changing from a hobby to a business. I understand your time is well spent with family, I also enjoy working on my cars and have never included time as a "cost" on it. And again, I will say, if you have a Shelby clone for 10k - 15k, I think you got a helluva deal.

Allen

#45 ·
I would buy one if the price was right and it was done well, but I would never buy one to do the conversion. I would not spend more than half the amount of a real fastback for the car, even if done correctly.

I think 99.9 percent is probably correct for people who just look at the car and say how cool it is, but it's not true for someone wanting to buy a fastback. I bet it drops down to less than 5% who would pay equal money for one.

G
#47 ·
Steve, who said equal money? I think the lower price would entice many. But not half, that's unreasonable.

Turnall, I'm with you on clones. I appreciate clones greatly. But a clone is a car that can' be distinguished from an original . . or real damn hard to do so. Otherwise, it's ajust a car with some parts on it, 99% of the "clones" are those.

#46 ·
Agreed. If the cars are similarly equipped, a conversion should always sell for less than the real deal, otherwise there would be no sense in buying the conversion instead of an original fastback. I think the hard part, especially given how differently cars can be equipped, is what the appropriate discount for a conversion should be. But I can see a situation where a very nicely done restomod conversion with suspension, drive train and brake upgrades could bring more than a bone stock fastback.

#48 ·
Pete, I would buy them for different reasons. I would never buy one to keep, not a smart use of MY money. I would only buy it to sell and that's why I would not pay over half. The market for them is MUCH smaller.

Take the amount of people on this forum, I bet there would be a very small handful that would put out good money for one. Just from the replies, you can see that. As alluded to from others, you can buy a factory fastback for a decent price if you look long enough. I personally would never do a conversion, but that's just me.

G
#49 ·
The 50 Aholes that talk all the time ( just like in school, the high flying 50 that ruin it for the rest of the student population :) here is just a spec of the people that lurk here, I bet. I have no stats, but that's human nature. Then the amount of people who never visit forums, let alone even become a long time lurker . . . . huge. The market for affordable cars is large. They remember what their neighbor had or their dad, uncle etc. They get some money and buy something. Maybe only keep it 4 or 5 years. They don't care and they represent a large share of the, "low cost" ,collector market.

#54 ·
Let me ask a question.

Say for example you have a fastback that is rusted beyond repair; you can buy rusted out fastbacks for less than $6k typically. Now, lets say you find a coupe that is in need of a full restoration, but has nice floor pans, cowl etc. You can find those for less than $2k typically. Most cars need 1/4's and sheet metal replacement anyways, so whats wrong with installing the good fastback roof, new fastback 1/4's on a solid coupe chasis, or lower half?

Fastbacks are more desirable than coupes to most people and look better to most people, so why wouldn't you do this conversion? If all of the welding and fabrication is done right, its no different than replacing a ton of rusted metal on a non-converted car.

#55 ·
... so whats wrong with installing the good fastback roof, new fastback 1/4's on a solid coupe chasis, or lower half?
There's way more to doing this than just welding on a roof et al.
Stan

#59 ·
I checked out of VMF yesterday AM for a quick overnight run to Highlands, NC. Just got back. I feel I should say something here, especially since I was the one who goosed this thread with a couple of posts back on page two. First off, those who focus primarily on the money investment/resale issue simply need come to grips with the fact that in some cases that is a non-issue. Doesn't matter. Secondly, even if it did matter that would not preclude someone from seeing a profit on a conversion, either through very shrewd decision making or building something quite exceptional in quality and performance improvements. Although these instances may well be rare, they can and do occur. Thirdly, I myself have absolutely no respect for those who undertake a sale and do not disclose, right up front, and preferably in the ad title, that what they are marketing is a conversion. The words "Shyster" and "Scum" leap right out of me (tar and feathers too). I feel the same about those who sell certain titles with thinly disguised (wink, wink) carefully worded ads.

When my car is done and on the road (almost certainly within the next eight months or so), z over there, whom I have come to respect, will see it through his lens as a stitched together monster. Others will see it as a poor/bad investment and not understand at all. Some will call it a "fake". Well. Frankenstein's Monster was a much more powerful thing as a sum of its parts than anywhere they came from (so in a way zray is right), money is by no means a be all/end all issue, and as for the title and vin being for the donor downtrodden base 6 cylinder coupe it once was, it retains many structural and parts elements of same. It'll be a real fastback alright, not a fake, a conversion. What's more, as I'm driving down the road in it I promise you, I will not care what denigrating thoughts some may have of what I have done since 2008, with my sweat, my tools, my skills, my unborrowed money, the help of this here forum's members, and my own judgment and mind.
From what I understand of this little hobby of ours I may be too busy nodding at folks giving it a :thumbsup:.

#60 ·
You roll on 4ocious, your car, do as you wish. I would be interested in how you feel after you are finished, not about the car itself, obviously it will be yours through painstaking work, but as to how you feel about doing the conversion from a standpoint of do you think it would be better/easier to do the conversion or repair an original fastback. How do you feel about the money spent on the conversion as to what you think it would cost for an original.

I'll always say your car, do as you wish (turn it into a Mustang 747 for all I care), but I think it would be beneficial to know your thoughts when finished.

Allen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.