Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 speed wiper conversion

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  22GT 
#1 ·
I'm converting to a 1 speed wiper motor from a 2 speed. I bought the 1 speed motor and the bracket from the 2 speed does not have the same holes. I saw some 67's online that look like may work but not sure. Anybody with experience with this? Thanks, Chad.

#6 · (Edited)
None.
The only difference between '65 and '66 wipers are the transmissions where they go through the cowl.
Actually, the wiper bezels disappeared in mid-1965.
2 speed motor is tired and don't want to replace it ever again.
That's a lousy reason. It's rare for these to go bad. My 66 2-speed is original. The car has 400,000 miles on it. Get the correct 2-speed "Visibility Group" wiper motor. BTW, what does "tired" mean?

#5 ·
You need the bracket as well. The only difference between '65 and '66 wipers are the transmissions where they go through the cowl.
I think I have a complete '66 single speed wiper motor, bracket, arms and switch if you want it. PM me with your info and I'll let you know the shipping costs.

#9 ·
The two speed wiper motor on my '65 quit working on me this spring, and I started shopping around for another one - not cheap. I finally found one for a steal, but while waiting for it to arrive, I cracked the case open on my old one and greased the "bearing" at one end of the case where the motor shaft rotates. Put it back together and haven't had a problem with it since. In fact, just got in after being caught in an Arizona monsoon rainstorm and the motor performed flawlessly.

What I'm saying is pull your two speed motor, play around with it for a bit, give it some TLC, and see if it works for you. Mine was built in 1964 and still going strong!

#11 ·
What I did was pull the bracket/motor out of the car, removed the motor from the bracket, and then played around with it for a bit. I then hooked up a hot wire and ground to the wires coming from the motor to the battery and tested it that way. If you have a wiring diagram, you'll know which wires to hookup to test. Try it before you open the motor up and afterwards and see if there's a difference.

Mine was completely locked up - wouldn't turn at all even though it was getting power. After I opened it up, blew it out with compressed air, and lubed the bushing (I said bearing earlier, but I believe it's just a bushing), I put it back together and it worked fine.

#12 ·
I am converting my 66 to a two speed I picked up used. I'll be happy to sell the 1 speed motor, bracket, wiring arms, and switch if needed.

#14 · (Edited)
I am converting my 66 to a two speed I picked up used. I'll be happy to sell the 1 speed motor, bracket, wiring, arms, and switch if needed.
The arms and rods on the transmissions are the same whether it's one or two speed. The arm on the motor is different, of course.
Tired- The motor barely moves and goes very slow.
They don't get tired, they run slow, as others have pointed out, because the 52-year-old grease isn't cutting it anymore. I'd hate to see you spend a lotta time and money when all it needed was 5¢ worth of white lithium grease.

When it dies, and the smoke comes out of it, that's when you need to do something drastic.

#13 ·
Check out the Newport Engineering 2-speed wiper conversion. It's a nice motor and you can get an optional intermittent wipe function switch a well...

I wouldn't downgrade to single speed if you drive the car regularly. If it is a show car that only sees good weather then who cares if the motor doesn't work... Right? LOL!

Mark

#15 ·
Maybe a drop of oil!?

#18 ·
NO! The 2-speed reciprocates, back and forth. The 1-speed goes round and round.

Like we've been trying to tell you, the one-speed is entirely different, and you'd have to replace EVERYTHING.

Just put some gun oil on the bearings of the 2-speed you have and all your problems go away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.