Vintage Mustang Forums banner

So I'm new here, and I want a Mustang.

2K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  JeffC 
#1 ·
Good day fellows! As you can see in the title, I'm new here, and I'm looking for info. First though, let me give some background on myself.

My names Luke, I'm 20, attending college, and I was born and raised in West Tennessee. From the age of around 13 or so, I've wanted a classic Mustang. It's my dream car. I'm graduating in 2018, and I have a job and place to live already lined up.

As soon as I have the money, I plan to buy a 1969-1970 Mach 1. I like the trim, the matte hood, the overall aggressiveness of the body. And the little spoiler (lol). I also plan to drive the living hell out of it. I think I can have thirty grand lined up to buy one within a couple of years of graduating, if everything goes according to plan.

I have plans to acquire a Mach 1 with a SCJ 428 ideally. I'll probably end up buying one with a 351W or 390 and then doing a swap for a 428 myself later on.

Now comes my question for you fellows: I have been doing research on the subject, and I have found that the 4.3 gear ratio 4 speed manual gives you the best zero-60 time (5 1/2 seconds when coupled with the 428, I believe) which is what I want. But mpg and top end suffers greatly. I know that there must be more modern trannies available, perhaps a five or six speed, that could still achieve the fast zero-60 time, and increase top end speed and mpg.

For my purposes, what is the absolute best transmission I can purchase? I'm not expecting twenty miles to the gallon or a top speed of a hundred and seventy. I just want to get every bit of horse power, torque, and efficiency I can out of that old car. I'm hoping you guys have the answer.

Once again, I don't own this sweet piece of awesome yet, but it is gonna happen. I'm not gonna waste y'all's time, rest assured. Any help you fellas can give is most appreciated.

Luke Switzer.

See less See more
#4 ·
In order to get the 428SCJ you had to order the "Drag Pack" option which included either 3.91 or 4.30 gears and an oil cooler IIRC. Any other rear axle ratio got you the 428CJ. Also a 428CJ or SCJ Mach1 came with staggered rear shocks. A 351 or 390 Mach1 came with the standard shock mounting.
A genuine R code 428CJ Mach1 will cost a wheelbarrow full of money. A genuine R code 428SCJ (Drag Pack) Mach1 will cost a dump truck full of money.
You will need a TKO 600 5 speed behind the 428.
And by the way- only the '69 Mach1 had the blacked out hood. The '70 had stripes.

#5 ·
Welcome aboard. You'll get plenty of advice here.
Stan

#13 ·
Tremec T56, not sure how you get it to fit, maybe its not a problem, most are hydraulic clutch

Another option would be to keep the top loader and put a Gear Vendors OD behind it.

#15 ·
He mentioned 30K.

Not sure that's realistic.

Here's the real deal advice to the OP...If your goal is to buy and own a car, go find one and buy it. You can buy more car than you can build for the same $'s.

In your case, since originality is not a concern, you can look for any sportsroof of the correct year that someone has already dropped an upgraded engine into. Don't get hung up on the 428CJ. I mean, if the car had it originally, you'd want it for sure. But the car you describe, if factory stock, would very likely be three times your budget and you'd be afraid to drive it hard because of the value.

Phil

#19 ·
Whatever car you decide on when the time comes, make sure you do your research for that particular vehicle. It's easy to get caught up in the moment and make a poor decision because the excitement of owning one overwhelms you. I would post photos on here before buying so everyone can check it out for you. If I could go back, I would have probably passed on my car or at least offered lower because there was a lot of underlying issues I didn't think of or check for. It ran well and seemed to shift good so I bought it.

#20 ·
#24 ·
The best advice I can give is to take your time and learn as much as possible prior to buying. Then take your time picking the exact car you want and make sure you inspect the car with someone who knows what to look for. Even then you'll still find a rat's nest of wiring and rust in the corner of the cowl that you couldn't see without disassembly.

G
#25 · (Edited)
My real suggestion . it's nice to dream. But seriously, you aren't in a situation to be spending money like this, even in a few years. Let life happen. Having loans is not a way to live. You really don't know what life has in store for you. At 20, you think you have it figured out. I was there, graduating, etc. Slow down, have fun with a less expensive car and let life happen first . . then you have time to get your dream items.

#26 ·
My real suggestion . it's nice to dream. But seriously, you aren't in a situation to be spending money like this, even in a few years. Let life happen. Have loans is not a way to live. You really don't know what life has in store for you. At 20, you think you have it figured out. I was there, graduating etc. Slow down, have fun with a less expensive car and let life happen first . . then you have time to get your dream items.
Excellent advise!
I love my '67 coupe with 289 and 5-speed.
Is it as cool as a 69 Mach1 with a 428cj? No, but it's still a blast to drive and I didn't have to go into debt to afford it... and it turns heads everywhere I go.

#27 ·
Welcome Luke

You remind me of myself lol. I'm also 20 (almost 21) and currently in college. I also want a 428 cobra jet car (GT500KR) when i'm older and have graduated. I'm also currently looking for a 351 mach 1 for semi daily driving. Only thing different is that i prefer originality while you like modifying. Anyway, hope you are able to find a cheap 351 in solid condition while you get your 428.

Jeffrey

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.