Vintage Mustang Forums banner

69 Electric Radiator Fan Woes

694 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Lethality 
#1 ·
This weekend I removed the stock radiator and flex fan to install my new aluminum radiator from Engineered Cooling Products. Like many, I am having fitment issues with my stock water pump. I've considered low profile water pumps, but they all face the wrong side or require timing covers etc...
I've managed to reverse the fan into a pusher and with a little trimming it will fit in the front. However, I will only be able to put the trans cooler on the inside of the radiator. Will this cause any cooling issues? Does anyone see a better idea? Need some opinions Please!!

This is the radiator in the original setup-you can see the fitment issues...

See less See more
#2 ·
what size radiator do you have? 20 or 24"? i had a champion 20" 3 core that i used a pusher fan on. all was well till stuck in traffic in 100+ weather for the first time, then it couldnt handle it. The picture you show of your radiator has two plugs for your trans cooler lines to be ran into. that would eliminate the separate cooler if you cant move it to a different location. most of the time running the lines through the radiator work pretty good for cooling the trans. Another option is to put that fan on as a pusher, then attach the mechanical fan as well. Or you could cut out that metal shroud enough to off set the fan you have.

#4 ·
You need the shroud, especially in stop and go traffic.

Pusher type fans are never as efficient as a puller type in the original location.

The Taurus/Contour dual fans with shroud are almost an exact fit on a 24" wide radiator. The fans are two speed, but can be wired to run on high only. They require high amp relays to work properly, but will probably out flow just about any aftermarket fan of a comparable size. You can get them on ebay relatively cheap.

#5 ·
The Taurus/Contour dual fans with shroud are almost an exact fit on a 24" wide radiator. The fans are two speed, but can be wired to run on high only. They require high amp relays to work properly, but will probably out flow just about any aftermarket fan of a comparable size. You can get them on ebay relatively cheap.
i did this swap this week. 24" 2 row w/ 1" tubes then the contour dual fans. i drove it yesterday in 100+ weather, then left it idling in the sun for about 30 min and didnt even go half way on heat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.