Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Well I did try to tell him

2K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  teardropty 
#1 ·
I crossed paths with someone who just picked up a built 23 t bucket kit car less engine. He said he had a 351W "in parts" with it but it was missing the cam and lifters and probably some other parts. He was just looking around for an intact running 302 to go on it for now so he could drive it around.

He was planning to swap the 351W intake and carb, maybe the heads onto the 302 he finds. I did try to tell him that the 351W intake won't go on a 302 but he said that even though he was a Chevy guy, he had "researched it thoroughly" and he knew it would fit because you could transfer heads between the 2 engines. Alrighty then, LOL. He is in for something of a surprise I think. I have to wonder where he is getting his research information. Maybe it is from other Chevy guys or something.

#11 ·
Don't bring up a 292/312 with the guy, he'll be screwed up for life......

#3 ·
Well, he will bang his head for awhile with his 302/351 dilemma, cuss Henry, and then put a 350 bellybutton in it!

#5 · (Edited)
He was planning to swap the 351W intake and carb, maybe the heads onto the 302 he finds. I did try to tell him that the 351W intake won't go on a 302 but he said that even though he was a Chevy guy, he had "researched it thoroughly" and he knew it would fit because you could transfer heads between the 2 engines.
He's using Chevy logic. Chevy smallblocks (265, 283, 302, 305, 307, 327, 350, and 400 will all interchange heads AND intake manifolds. They all have the same deck height. The 351W, on the other hand, has the deck raised 1".

I suppose you didn't bother to tell him using 351W heads, when installed on a 302, require special bolts/washers to prevent brinelling.

Apparently his idea of "thorough" is a little thin. :)

Get back to us on what happens.

#7 · (Edited)
The 351W, on the other hand, has the deck raised 1".

I suppose you didn't bother to tell him using 351W heads, when installed on a 302, require special bolts/washers to prevent brinelling.

Apparently his idea of "thorough" is a little thin. :)

Get back to us on what happens.

Nope. I didn't believe there was any point. He will probably wind up throwing one of his Chevy engines(said he had several) in it. You can get Ford, Chevy, Mopar, whatever engine mounts for the 23 t bucket kit frames and various transmission mounts as well.

I wish somebody made the t bucket fiberglass body to fit my 1968 VW bug belly pan. I would really like to do something different with it. Current plan is to save up the considerable bucks and get a new Bruce Meyers kit for it. I asked Haggerty's and they said they did insure the vintage Mayers kits but they would have to review a lot of photos of the new kit install to decide. I think they probably will since it is still essentially a 1968 VW chassis, engine and transmission and the new Meyers kit is very much improved. Cars built with the new kit are selling for some significant money but I have no plan to ever sell it. My estate lawyers will do it after I am gone.

I don't ever tell people I told you so any more. I leave that to Alex Jones.

#9 · (Edited)
That would be a Clevor. B&A Performance sold the Street Boss intakes for those
and I think there were a few designs for spacer/adapters to try to use the
289/302 intake for a cheaper solution...... never sold those, just the B&A intakes.
(I think Price Motorsports had the adapters at one point in time, many moons ago)

That's funny about the t bucket guy thinking a 351W intake fits a 302.
When I was 16 or so I checked out an Autotrader ad for a Shelby intake-
drove way out in the boonies to check it out (in a snowstorm no less).
It was a 351W intake...... not gonna fit my 289, I told the guy. He was
apparently a Chevy guy.

#16 ·
With this type usually best to just smile, nod and say "sounds good..." attempting to educate those that don't want to be is a fool's errand....

Reactions: Turnall
#21 ·
Nothing RTV can't fill in.... KIDDING!! kidding....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.