Vintage Mustang Forums banner

T5 Question

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  PetesPonies 
#1 ·
Can someone answer this? Does a 94 Mustang with a WC T5 drive the speedometer off of a drive gear in the tail assembly of the T5 transmission or is there a speed sensor mounted somewhere else on the car that electronically powers the speedometer?

I had a WC T5 installed that came out of 94 Mustang V6 in my 64 1/2 D Code Coupe. The installer didn't secure the speedometer cable and it subsequently melted on the exhaust pipe causing the inner cable to freeze up. The inside speedometer works and turns when turning the end of the new speedometer cable but there is nothing driving it inside the transmission. One of the techs, probably the guy who installed it says that 94 Mustangs speedometers ran off of a speed sensor not a cable and that the speed sensor was mounted other than on/in the T5 and that there is no drive gear inside the tail shaft of a 94 Mustang WC T5. The installer said that he shinned a light inside the hole and saw no drive gear.

I told the shop owner that if the speedometer cable froze up that chances are that the drive gear came loose of the tab that it was mounted on and is floating on the shaft inside the tail housing of the T5 or self destructed when the cable froze up.

#3 · (Edited)
Pretty sure the 94 & 95 cars used the same type of cable setup.

You can either plug a cable into the speed sensor or you can buy a cable for a carb setup and then you don't need to have the speed sensor.

The one on the left is the trans end of the cable for the carb cars. The right is the cable plugged into a speed sensor.
[/URL]

Your cable melting probably stopped the cable from turning freely. That could have eaten up the drive gear on the end of the cable. You probably need a new cable and gear for the end of the cable. If the gear inside the tailshaft is eaten up or not there, then you need to take the tailshaft off to replace it.

Just looked this up and found this chart:
http://www.cjponyparts.com/tech-speedometer-cables/a/156/

Looks like the 94-98 still had a VSS in the tailshaft, but the signal was sent to the speedo in the car by 2 wires and not the cable. But you should still have a drive gear on the tailshaft in your transmission and can plug in a cable to make it work right.

#4 ·
Pretty sure the 94 & 95 cars used the same type of cable setup.

You can either plug a cable into the speed sensor or you can buy a cable for a carb setup and then you don't need to have the speed sensor.

The one on the left is the trans end of the cable for the carb cars. The right is the cable plugged into a speed sensor.
[/URL]

Your cable melting probably stopped the cable from turning freely. That could have eaten up the drive gear on the end of the cable. You probably need a new cable and gear for the end of the cable. If the gear inside the tailshaft is eaten up or not there, then you need to take the tailshaft off to replace it.

Just looked this up and found this chart:
Speedometer Cable Information | Mustang Tech Articles | CJ Pony Parts

Looks like the 94-98 still had a VSS in the tailshaft, but the signal was sent to the speedo in the car by 2 wires and not the cable. But you should still have a drive gear on the tailshaft in your transmission and can plug in a cable to make it work right.
Now that I recall, I removed the electronic sensor, like the picture on the right, from the transmission shortly after I bought it. I still have it. I did install a new speedo cable but the speedometer still didn't work so the gear inside the tail shaft must have slipped out of the tab that holds it on or broke completely when the cable froze up.

#7 · (Edited)
Can someone answer this? Does a 94 Mustang with a WC T5 drive the speedometer off of a drive gear in the tail assembly of the T5 transmission or is there a speed sensor mounted somewhere else on the car that electronically powers the speedometer?
No. on 94+ the speedometer is electronic (no cable used). The same VSS is used 94/95 as 86-93 except the hole where the cable went on the earlier units is covered with a small plastic plug:

On 94+ VSS supplies the signal to the electronic speedometer. The VSS is still a mechanically driven device with a driven gear on its end and a drive gear in the output shaft of the T-5.

If it hasn't slipped out of the tab that holds it in place you should be able to see it with a flash light. Is the tab that holds it in place view-able looking through the speedo hole?
You will be able to see the gear but not the clip.

Paul

#8 ·
No. on 94+ the speedometer is electronic (no cable used). The same VSS is used 94/95 as 86-93 except the hole where the cable went on the earlier units is covered with a small plastic plug:

On 94+ VSS supplies the signal to the electronic speedometer. The VSS is still a mechanically driven device with a driven gear on its end and a drive gear in the output shaft of the T-5.

You will be able to see the gear but not the clip.

Paul

Thanks Paul. But if the gear slipped off of the clip or broke when the speedo cable froze up would there be a good chance that you wouldn't see the gear just by looking through the speedometer hole?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.