Vintage Mustang Forums banner

WARNING: 65/66 Reproduction Air Cleaner Thermostatic Snorkel not functional

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  dalorzof 
#1 ·
I never saw any posts regarding this issue but I think its worth mentioning. I bought a complete reproduction stock air cleaner (base, lid and snorkel) from one of the big box parts retailers for my 1965 Mustang Fastback. I noticed that the flap that directs heated or cold air to the carburetor was stuck closed thus feeding the carburetor hot air all the time. The temperature responsive element that makes the flap open and close was painted so I thought this was hampering operation. I removed the part that opens and closes the flap and used some fine sand paper to clean off the paint. Well I was very surprised to find that this part was non-functional! What a rip off! No mention that this is a non-functional unit in the part description! You think that you are buying a functional unit only to find out it's a farce. All the other parts in the snorkel are present and function properly. On the allfordmustangs.com forums Ivy66GT has an excellent post regarding this part. If interested here's the link to Ivy66GT's post:

Intake air for your 260?/289/302 - Ford Mustang Forum

Below are a couple of pictures of the bogus reproduction part. Notice that the smaller brass rod protruding from the part is actually part of a solid brass piece. It should move in/out and act as a plunger as the part heats and cools. I feel like I was mislead and ripped off! This reproduction air cleaner assembly is well over $200!

If anybody has an original functioning part available, please let me know. Thanks.

Mark

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Mark, dont know what you have there but it in no way resembles the "WAXSTAT" that is part of the IMCO system used on the intake snorkel.
The parts that make up this assembly are harder to find than a virgin in Vegas, and probably cost about the same. I have been told that
after all the trouble I went through to find ALL the original parts, they were not used on my car, a 64.5 260 convert.
As the parts are hidden in the snorkel, only nosy guys with flashlights and me know its in there. The upside is I think this system helps
cold start and cuts some emissions too. I would somehow freeze the flapper in the "open" position while you are looking for the parts you
need. Maybe you can return the air cleaner? Good luck!

#3 ·
Leon,
I was search for more info about the thermostatic snorkel and came across a reply you made here at VMF on the same basic subject in 2015:
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/6682018-post8.html

You referred to IMCO as 'Improved Choke Operating' system. Im fairly certain that IMCO was Ford's acronym for its 'IMproved COmbustion' exhaust gas emission reduction system.

Thanks
Paul

#7 ·
Leon,
I was search for more info about the thermostatic snorkel and came across a reply you made here at VMF on the same basic subject in 2015:
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/6682018-post8.html

You referred to IMCO as 'Improved Choke Operating' system. Im fairly certain that IMCO was Ford's acronym for its 'IMproved COmbustion' exhaust gas emission reduction system.

Thanks
Paul
You are correct, 'IMproved COmbustion' is the full name. Basically it was just a hyper-tuned carb and distributor to meet emissions standards.

As for the flap, it would always be closed, directing hot air to the carb, unless you are in Death Valley in August.

If you ever look at a snorkle and the flap is open, and you aren't on fire, then it's normal.

#5 ·
"IMCO" does, in fact, stand for "Improved Combustion" and includes not only the diverter "flapper", but idle mixture limiter caps, DVCV, dual-vacuum distributor advance and special carburetor calibration. IIRC, it was NOT used on "K" codes or on manual transmission-equipped cars before 1970.

#8 ·
As for the flap, it would always be closed, directing hot air to the carb, unless you are in Death Valley in August.

If you ever look at a snorkle and the flap is open, and you aren't on fire, then it's normal.
Have to disagree 100%, every one on my cars is closed cold and opens when warm. "Winter warm up" for cold country. How it was designed to work.

Shop Manual ('68) notes it should be closed (taking air from the S tube and manifold) at 100 degrees F or less, then open (taking air thru snorkel) at 135 degrees F, which is a really cold fire and far over the manifold heat one would get thru the tube.

Its supposed to shunt warm air off the manifold at cold start, then open to allow cooler engine bay air in once the engine has warmed up...

A light warm with a propane torch from a foot or so should open it in a minute or so. Or as per shop maul soak it in 135 degree water for 5 mins and it should go to "heat off" mode.

In most warm climates if the wax actuator has failed you can just adjust it open, taking air thru the snorkel to provide cooler air to the carb, which is generally considered better than hot...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.