Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Learn from my mistake

1K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  We4nolans 
#1 · (Edited)
Last night my wife and I were going to dinner and decided we'd drive the Mustang. After clearing my truck from the driveway I started the car to let it warm up and ran into the house to let my wife know I was ready. As she walked into the garage she saw a flash of green leaving the garage.

I am assuming the car came out of park and into reverse. Fortunately no one was injured but the car rolled down the driveway, across the street and after crashing through my neighbors fence came and tearing the electrical service off her house came to rest wedged between her house and shed.

Every panel but the hood, right fender and front valance is scratched or dented.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Bummer!

A similar thing happened to my friend's 442. At least his homeowner's insurance took care of it.

#6 ·
I just completed a restoration on my 67 fastback that took years. This car came out way better than I expected. The last tasks I did was install the wipers.

I decided to test the wipers the other day just to see how they would do. Thinks went south quick because the wipers went from their resting position, across the lower windshield trim and across the cowl. Both wiper blades popped off leaving the arms to destroy the paint on the cowl. I was quick to hit the wiper switch but not quick enough to divert disaster.

I cannot understand how the linkage got so out of wack.

At least I have some extra paint but will have to buy more clear coat. It will probably be a 4 to 5 hour fix.

I guess I'm thankful, it could have been much worse. I'm sorry to hear about your Mustang. Thank God it didn't run over anyone. I recon it will be off to the shop. Hopefully it will return looking new.

#7 ·
Ouch, I'm really sorry. That's awful but that's one of those things you just can't make up. Luckily, it's nothing major and with your story, John7660, I'm sure you'll be laughing about it in a little bit. But for the grace of God go I...

#8 ·
Sorry for your situation Matt. Hopefully, myself and others with C4's will make sure we have a functioning E-brake and remember to use it!
I assume you have good classic car insurance.

#9 ·
Man, that sucks! Thank God everybody's ok.

Don't feel so bad. You're not the first one to do this. I did the same thing, but I was in the car with the driver door open. The garage wall caught the door and folded it forward. Luckily I got by the car stopped before it went to far. I actually did some upgrades when it was on the shop.

Don't worry. The insurance will take care of your neighbor and the Mustang will be like new, eventually.

#10 ·
My cousin had the same thing happen to him with his 62 Galaxie on a cold winter day. Thankfully it was right after Christmas so after the car went across the street it got stuck on a xmas tree someone had set out on the curb. It was a 352, C6 car so they can all have it happen.

#12 ·
Pretty common occurrence with the sloppy Ford floor shifter. Once I told my story to others, I heard about 15 similar stories. The parking brake needs to be used.

#15 ·
C4 have a parking pawl and arm. When it is fine you can feel it set and "lock" the driveshaft. Always try to get into the habit of feeling for that. I often will depress the brake after starting the car and pull the shifter down through the gears and back up to park and make sure I feel it engage the parking pawl. Just a habit I guess. Setting the parking brake helps too.

#14 ·
I always blame the wife... lol But seriously, I totalled out a nicely restored 1954 F250 a couple of years ago. The old me would have thrown a fit and damaged some more stuff in the process. The new me just accepted the loss and told myself that I restored it once, I could do it all again. No one was hurt, that is the key. It will get fixed and it will be made whole again.

#17 ·
Oh man that sucks! Sorry to hear it. I think I've seen your car around Tualatin and Sherwood. It catches my attention because A) it's a classic Mustang and B) It's a blue classic Mustang. I'm from Tualatin and drive a 68 Gulf Stream Aqua convertible with parchment interior. I really hope to see your car out and about again soon. :-(

- Alex Olshove

#18 ·
Small world Alex, I work in Tualatin.

On top of no one being hurt, I'm trying to look at the bright side now I get to fix all the imperfections that have occurred in the 10 years since it was last painted. Summers almost over and the car would be going back into the garage for the winter soon. I've had since 1984, buying it a month after I turned 16. If all goes as planned it should be back on the road by next spring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.