Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Golan "The Trap" Radiator Filter?

11K views 70 replies 22 participants last post by  65coupei6_2 
#1 ·
Anybody used/purchased this product? I contacted Golan (e-mail and telephone voice-mail)... still waiting for a reply. I'd like to know:
1) I assume that it uses a mesh screen for filtration. What size mesh? (#4? #10?)
2) Is the screen constructed from 316 grade stainless steel?
3) Is the screen removable for cleaning and how does "The Trap" come apart?
4) Any consumable parts used in construction? (gaskets, etc.)

I know that everybody's gonna say "buy a TEFBA" or "buy a GANO" but frankly, I'm not thrilled with either design. The nylon TEFBA product is kinda clunky looking and the screen looks pretty restrictive in the Online pics (never mind the high price). I haven't had any luck searching for the TEFBA mesh sizes Online (apparently, the newer product comes with both a "super fine" and a "course" mesh screen). The AeroFlow billet product looks like a TEFBA knockoff (don't know about the filter meshes for that one either) and the price on that one is RIDICULOUS. The GANO-type filters are pretty common but even those prices are exorbitant for what you get. It would be nice if they manufactured this one with Pyrex (Reg TM) glass instead of the polycarbonate?

#2 ·
The golan product does have a screen. Haven't seen one apart in many years. Looked
to me like standard window screen. The very center of the screen that I saw was a
"break away" design. Don't know the screen size though.

#3 ·
I don't know about the one you're looking at, but I will say, I put a Tefba on my coupe, and it is 1) very sturdy, and 2) has a nice stainless screen that works great. If it is impeding flow appreciably, then it is time for a cleaning.

My 2 cents,
MrFreeze

#20 · (Edited)
The Tefba I have came with two screens. A fine mech and one not so fine. You start out using the thick mesh, then can go down to the fine mesh if desired. It takes about 90 seconds to check the mesh filter and clean it if needed.

Pretty sure you will have difficulty getting a stainless steel mesh to seal properly if at all.
With the Tefba design, the mesh does not need to have an "airtight" seal to be effective. It's going to catch most of the debris after a few passes, whatever gaps there are on the mesh edge are going to be inconsequential once the coolant has passed thru the filter a few hundred times.

Z

#4 ·
Yeah I agree with your opinion; I am not in love with the Gano design. I like the Tefba a lot better; pulled the trigger and ordered one from the only seller in the US, but they never shipped it and had to get a refund via my credit card. Love the AeroFlow filter; saw one on an otherwise concours car, and it looked fantastic. But expensive, and ships from Australia.

This is the first I have heard of the Golan filter. 10 Micron, KTM & Billet Fuel Filters in California | Golan Products (scroll all the way down) Interesting; they aren't too far from me. Wonder how much it costs?

#11 ·
Huh. I just looked at that address. There's a lot of "job shops" in that area. A couple of blocks over is a
guy that does a lot of custom Jag rear bushings for the Cobra guys. The 94th Aero Squadron we eat
at occasionally is across the street. Never realized Golan was nearby.

#5 ·
I'll let you know what the Golan unit costs (and if it's still manufactured) when I find out myself. I did look up the international patent and it looks like they abandoned it some years ago (too costly to maintain the patent given their limited distribution network?).

#6 ·
These things are so simple. I wonder why there aren't better, less expensive options out there? Personally, I'd like to see a Pyrex (Reg TM) "sight glass" tube (short, for strength) with two billet aluminum caps (EPDM gaskets and 38mm/1,5" OD BEADED hose barbs) and a 316 SS sock screen gasket (#4 or #10 mesh). Optionally, incorporate a bleeder valve in one of the billet aluminum caps to aid in "burping" the system. Maybe even offer an optional secondary temp sensor threaded hole in one of the billet aluminum caps.

#7 ·
For years I've used patio screen (plastic) believe it or not. Just cut out a larger than needed square, stuff it into your upper radiator about three inches deep and have enough to come back out and and fold over to cover the area your hose would cover when installed. Install the hose, tighten the clamp and use a razor blade to trim back the excess screen so it does not show. It will stop any particle big enough to clog a tube and no one knows it's there. Temperature rising? Take it out and clean it, I doubt you will ever have to do it more than twice on an old block. If you have rebuild your engine with a properly tanked block... maybe once.

Cheers!

#8 ·
Yeah, I've thought of that... only difference, I'd use stainless steel mesh. It's cheap and easy to pick up Online (and I could select a specific mesh to achieve max flow). Still, it would be nice to have a "quick disconnect" feature to simplify cleaning. I have a solution in mind that should cost me about $20 but I'd like to find an economical purpose-built unit.

Anybody with the facilities want to fabricate the solution that I described above, with borosilicate glass? Borosilicate glass test tubes in a 38mm diameter are cheap Online. The significant costs lie in the stainless sock screen gasket and turning the aluminum.

#10 · (Edited)
#17 ·
Thanks. I never saw that one... it DOES use a borosilicate glass tube. My only issues with it are the price and the fact that it doesn't look like it's designed to come apart without removing the hose barb clamps. It's now on my list as a possibility.

#16 ·
I have a Tefba filter in my 65 Fastback for over 8 years, and I've no problem getting the stainless steel mesh screen to seal properly. I like it better than a Gano since I don't have to take everything apart to take out the screen. I bought it from a Jag site and the shipping was really fast. Here is the link: http://www.v12performance.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=F&Category_Code=Tefba

All you have to do is pick the correct one for the size hose you are running. I used the 1 1/2" hose option.

#19 ·
Thanks Peter but I still think that $69.89 plus shipping is too much for what you get in the TEFBA. Not the seller's fault. I understand that there are duties to be paid because it's made in Oz. I'm gonna follow through with my research into the Golan filter and if it falls short (price, availability, design), I'll share another off-the-shelf idea with the forum.

#27 ·
I know what you're going through and understand your problem with the coolant filter prices. Both Gino and Tefba (Most Popular brands) are expensive for what they are. I've owned the gino and really didn't like it. Yes it works, but emptying is a pain. I recently purchased the AeroFlow version of the Tefba filter. Yes its more expensive than the original plastic version, but I felt that if I was dropping that much cash for a part it better look expensive. The cost of my new aluminum radiator and motor out weighed the cost of the filter. The AeroFlow coolant filter works! Actually it works too well. The first time out I plugged the screen up and ended up overheating. I'm sure that's the reason the original comes with a fine and coarse screen. My solution was to spend more money on an over priced part. I found a guy on ebay that sells stainless steel mesh and does custom sizes. I bought a sample pack for a few bucks and added a magnet and I'm dialed in. Using the AeroFlow coolant filter is a breeze. Just let the car cool down a little, depressurize the system, unscrew the top, and pull the crap out. The screen stops the crud and the magnet catches it. Yes the Tefba style coolant filter is expensive, but worth every penny. You can clean it out every time you drive the car (which I've been doing) and not waste coolant and time.

#34 ·
I'm sure folks will laugh in my years of playing with cars,I've used a piece of Panty hose in the upper hose with great success,cheaper( free) than Gano filter,etc. Also being a lifelong fish keeper,I've used filter bags( I don't recall the technical name) Nylon mesh bags,also with great success. Both can be placed inside the upper hose and undetected, when installed, every so often I take them out and replace or clean them out. Just putting it out there. If people want cheap.I'm sure Ganos are better? Maybe?????

#35 ·
I've heard of people using nylon panty hose's with good success. The problem for me was that just like the Gino filter I would have to drain part of the coolant and remove the upper hose.
Here's all the crud the Aeroflow caught the first time I installed it. This is after several flushes, back flushes, and citric acid treatments. Oh and my coolant problem started with a major mental fart. I started changing the timing cover gasket and midway decided to replace the timing cover with the prettier finned version. The cover was back-ordered and the motor ended up sitting for about a year. When I finally decided to finish the job I realized I didn't completely drain the coolant from the open block. :crying:

Attachments

#36 ·
That pretty much mirrors my 1st catch with the Tefba. And that was after an engine overhaul with the engine block hot tanked. The catch declined in subsequent inspections, but never was reduced to zero. I drove that particular GT350 for 85,000 miles after the overhaul
And checked the filter as part of every oil change regimen.

I wonder how many overheating issues people have could be eliminated with the use of any of these coolant filters. I think a lot of the blame that the stock brass radiators get is because they don't flow 100% of capacity. The coolant system on these cars is just barely good enough as is. Reducing the radiator flow by say 20% may not be detected visually, but still is going to have a major impact on the engine temp.

Z

#37 ·
No reply from Golan Products... I finally found some pics of "The Trap" internals Online:

Too dang simple! This is another one that is apparently WAAYYY overpriced for what you get. The fellow who posted the pics paid $68 shipped back in 2008!

I'm going a different route and I'm gonna use a tri-clover clamp with 1.5" hose barb ferrules and a #10 mesh EPDM/stainless steel gasket, all in SS316... commonly used with brewery process equipment. Cheap, attractive, and functional. Bonus, I won't have to use any tools to clean it and I won't have to remove the hose clamps to access the screen.

#38 ·
I wonder if Golan Products does walk-in business? Their around the corner from my work. I'll check it out on my lunch hour. I figured the trap won't be cheap, but I'll ask if they let me in the building. Also if you do build the tri-clover clamp piece don't forget to post pictures.

#39 ·
Will do. The tri-clover clamp components are COTS (commercial-off-the-shelf) parts. I ordered them today. When I install the assembly, I'll post pics.

#40 ·
#41 ·
I agree with you, it shouldn't be complicated OR expensive. That's why I made a nearly identical observation/suggestion in post# 10. This thread is more for informational purposes and for the sake of posterity.

#43 · (Edited)
Yup, the GANO heater hose filter is just a garden hose coupler with 5/8" barbs (I suspect that it's the Cerro brand, part number P-202GHS-1010) and an inexpensive 3/4" hose/tap screen/filter/strainer... another overpriced product. (Whispering: Don't tell Fastback97. Apparently, he's close personal friends with Mr. GANO.) I ran to my local hardware store today and I picked up those bits and pieces for just over $10.

BTW, Scott Drake sells it under his name too... WAAYYY too expensive, especially when you pay for that branding.

#45 ·
Exactly. Interestingly, that company's in Sparta, just a couple miles away from me. I found their website first in my search. However, like most things in NJ, I think their stuff is overpriced. I picked up the #10 mesh filter gasket from BreweryGaskets.com.
Tri Clamp Screen Gasket 1.5" Black EPDM 10 Mesh - Brewery Gaskets

I always try to buy American and there are lots of Chinese sanitary process components for sale Online cheap. I opted to buy an American made NOS stainless tri-clamp from an industrial liquidator for $8. Dixon is one brand name, for anybody who may want to try this solution. The trickier part is finding the correctly sized ferrules with 1.5"/38mm hose barbs... seems like, in industry, folks mostly mate these ferrules to welded pipe. I found a pair of ferrules with hose barbs for $14.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.