Vintage Mustang Forums banner

its known has it that oil filled coils need to be mounted vertically but......

691 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Grabber Blu 
#1 ·
all 351Cs have them mounted horizontally. my original coil ran 85,000 before giving out.

several of my replacements leaked.
i since went with an epoxy filled.

just wondering why Ford broke tradition and did it this way for the C's and why there was no known issues or recalls that i know of.

#3 ·
There are others mounted "sideways" beside 351C cars.
Our "C" code 289 had it mounted on top the intake.

#6 ·
dont know where it came from but MSD says it on the install sheet as well as Accell and mallory.
i can only assume a stock coil would be the same.

i was asking b/c i had a few leak on me, wetting the terminal however slightly and causing strange misses that took me a long time to figure out. the oil is so thin you cant see it straight out. I put a Q tip in there and it came out wet. I since went with epoxy and no more issues

#7 ·
The reason is when mounted horizontally the oil will not cover the windings completely causing them to overheat.

I don't think the OEM Ford coil is oil filled. So it can be mounted horizontally.

Oil filled coils have a screw down the high tension terminal, I think that's how they fill it and seal it. You can always tighten that screw after a while and I have stopped some of them from leaking.
The leaking may be a result of the overheating

Larry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.