Vintage Mustang Forums banner

68 coup 351W questions

801 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  janschutz 
#1 ·
I purchased a 68 coup roller.Originally had a 289 (rod through the block) in it with a 3 speed manual. I was given a 351w re-manufactured long block. Since I'm a new convert to ford restoration. I have some questions for the forum.

1. Will the 351W fit? any thing special I will need to do?
  2. For more info, the 351w is a 1989.
  3. I am tight on budget. So the 408 stroker probably won't happen.
  4. what cam can i run to help spruce it up?
  5. I would like to get some trick flo R11 heads but don't really know yet.
  6. Manifold suggestions?
  7. Headers that will fit the 68/351W set up?
I really have a thousand questions. Any budget tips to get the most bang for the buck. Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
I purchased a 68 coup roller.Originally had a 289 (rod through the block) in it with a 3 speed manual. I was given a 351w re-manufactured long block. Since I'm a new convert to ford restoration. I have some questions for the forum.
Welcome

1. Will the 351W fit? any thing special I will need to do? Yes, same motor mounts. Just sits a little higher.
  2. For more info, the 351w is a 1989.
  3. I am tight on budget. So the 408 stroker probably won't happen. A stock 351w puts out a lot of horsepower
  4. what cam can i run to help spruce it up? Cams = more money, anti budget killers.
  5. I would like to get some trick flo R11 heads but don't really know yet. Again, if on a budget stick to stock.
  6. Manifold suggestions? I like 2bl iron manifolds, less hassle.
  7. Headers that will fit the 68/351W set up? I run Hedman for the 351w. 289/302 WILL NOT WORK.
I really have a thousand questions. Any budget tips to get the most bang for the buck. Thanks
Since you stated you are on a budget, here are my thoughts. Everytime someone starts adding parts for hp, budgets go out the window. Parts become machine shop costs become changes to others parts. A stock 351w, with headers and a good matching carb will move the average Mustang down the road just fine. I would seek out a good set of early stock heads (pre 74, pre emissions) I see people all day long trying to squeeze an extra 50 hp out of the engine. Unless you are racing, why? And if you are trying to race, the word budget shouldn't exist. Trust me 5.8L in a lighter weight car is a lot. The key is a good healthy engine that you can get in, chirp the tires and have fun. Chasing more hp results in more down time and less money to spend on gas for trips. Just my opinion.

#3 ·
...from my experience, Budget and Performance are two words that don't usually go together. Once you start down the performance path it usually is like the domino effect and can spiral out of control. One thing leads to another. If budget is an issue, go with the basics. A good carb and intake combo and get on down the road. :pirate:

#4 ·
351W with a good 4 barrel setup = around 300hp, if you don't have a 9" rear-end, do the Explorer 8.8 swap with 3.73 gears (around $200 total if you can do it yourself, doesn't need shortened for a 68) and you'll feel every bit of that 300HP

#5 ·
Used parts will help your bottom line. Check out the classifieds on Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum you'll fine a lot of good used parts. I'm not sure if the 89 351W is a roller cam or not but I think it may be. The bad thing about roller cams is they're not exactly cheap new. About $300 off the shelf just for the cam and about $400 for a custom grind. The good news is that you can run a used roller cam with your old camp's roller tappets. They do not have to wear into get her like a flat tappet cam. I picked up a used cam for $60.

Another cast off are the GT40 heads from the late 90's. These are one of the best factory cast iron heads. Many guys have bought them as a upgrade and have since moved up to aftermarket heads. They won't be as good as aftermarket but they will be better then what you have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.